• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Kinds Of Things Do You Do To Make You Happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing4Best

MyPTSD Pro
I think it might be helpful for us to make lists of the kinds of things that we do to make ourselves happy. I'd love to read your lists and additions to things that make you happy as you discover more of them. Also, we can be helped by reading everyone's lists and trying some of those things too.

Here is my list:

1. I write letters to prisoners whose names and addresses I found on WRITE A PRISONER websites.
2. I write birthday cards to missionaries that my international church supports.
3. I read my Bible early each morning, and it also has a devotion in it for each day's reading.
4. I go to our local Senior Center, visiting with folks in my age group. We have an exercise program especially designed for Seniors. Then we play games like Bingo or Toss The Bean Bag. We also have lunch there and get chances to go shopping from the bus that transports us there. And there are field trips to go Thrift Store shopping to nearby towns. We have lunch in restaurants while there also. We have so much fun at the Center and on the bus and field trips. I feel loved, accepted and in general have been a much healthier, happier person since I started attending there most days since about a year ago.
5. I love listening to music. I listen to a station online at http://georgia.thejoyfm.com/index.php.
6. My best friend Tina, who is also PTSD, comes to visit me once a month. I even pay her bus fare for her, since she is poorer than I am. (I just live on my government pension, which is enough to by on, but certainly is not a lot more that that). She has no job and gets no money at all. She gets help buying food from our government and lives with her boyfriend.
7. I go to Bible Studies at my church, eat at our fellowship meal every week and serve on a church committee too. My church is such a blessing to me in countless ways!
8. And last but certainly not least, I come to the PTSD Forum here and share my thoughts, my caring support and advice and also my prayers with all of you. This place is such a blessing to me. I have have been a member for over 3 years now and I just want to take this time to personally thank @anthony and @Nicolette for this wonderful place.

I can't wait to read your lists!

Hug my cat,
Read one of my favourite books,
Listen to music (it has to be the right kind of music. Some music has the opposite effect),
Go for a long walk,
Go to a yoga class,
Take myself out somewhere nice to have lunch,
Phone my best frend and have a really long conversation with her about life and everything in it.

Years ago nothing would have. Today I can say that question is easy:
Play guitar, Windsurf, Sex (in that order). I "see" sunny skies when its gray. I "draw" smiles on grumpy people which cause me to smile at them. I sing out loud a lot. I carry my portable amp and ask people to suggest a favorite tune so I can play it for them as watching them smile makes me smile. Healthy food, bottled water and exercise. Orgasm. A sense of belonging to some group.

Hike, bike, travel to remote, exotic places and test my courage (oh, lots of analysis around that one! ), take photos (especially tribal people), write, make art and constantly challenge myself with new media, read, eat, read, cook, eat, and try to like people.

Some of your replies reminded me of other things I do that make me happy. I also loved the one about painting a smile on folks faces in your mind and then smiling at them, so they will smile back. What an awesome idea!

I used to crochet lap blankets for folks in nursing homes. There is a nursing home down the block from me, so maybe I shall start doing that again. It is cold outside, so it is hard to go for a walk there, so maybe I can get someone to give me a ride, once I get one of the blankets done....

Keep those lists coming folks! I love reading them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back