1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Position Do You Sleep In?

Discussion in 'PTSD Polls' started by Die Hard The Hunter, Apr 26, 2009.

?

What Position Do You Sleep In?

1. Foetus

64 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. Log

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Yearner

6 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Soldier

9 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. Freefall

24 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. Starfish

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. Other (I don't know, I do more than one, or I sleep differently under different circumstances, etc.)

42 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. Die Hard The Hunter

Die Hard The Hunter New Member

I was just reading a thread about nightmares and it made me wonder if there's something to this. I tend to sleep in the foetal position, and I tend to slouch forward a lot when doing anything else. I'm also always moving in some way. Since age 7 or so, I've never been able to relax while having the front of my torso exposed.

Maybe I'm just over-psycho-analyzing myself again.
  2. Solara

Solara VIP Member

I don't even know what half of these positions are...so I didn't answer...I'll come back and answer once I know which one is lying on your stomach. I was molested lying on my back, so lying on my stomach is safest.
  3. Die Hard The Hunter

Die Hard The Hunter New Member

I posted the URL but it showed up as a link (maybe I forgot to uncheck the parse thingy?) and was deleted.

Foetus: Curled up.

Log: Lying on side with both arms down at side.

Yearner: Lying on side with both arms out in front.

Soldier: Lying on back with arms pinned down at sides.

Freefaller: Lying on front with hands around the pillow, and head turned to one side.

Starfish: Lying on back with arms up around the pillow.
  4. her_indoors43

her_indoors43 New Member

ummm errrr ummm...id like to tick the....starfish postion...while sleeping with a soldier......hehehe ....

but hubby would err probably not like that...so um...errr...um um.......
    (your terrible murial).....hehehe.
    JustBe and NIKI like this.
  5. Marlene

Marlene VIP Member Premium Member

I've always slept curled up on my side. Primarily my left side. I remember in my early teen years I used to sleep completely covered up (just my nose out for air) no matter how hot it was. It was the only way I felt protected and could sleep. Funny...I just connected this to the time when my brother was sexually abusing me.

When I have to change rooms to sleep (recliner in livingroom) it's on my back with my hands across the middle.

Lisa
  6. Claire

Claire VIP Member

I dont keep still for 2 minutes when I'm asleep so all of the above and some others! I mostly sleep in the corner of the room (bed right in the corner) with my head in that corner with a pillow on top as well as under my head and with the covers right up too.

I find sleep really difficult!
  7. supergirl

supergirl New Member

I try to sleep on my back but usually wake up on my stomach with on arm under the pillow, one leg straight and the other leg bent 90 degrees. Often times I am drooling too. LOL
  8. 2quilt

2quilt New Member

I start out fetal position, but wake up in the morning on my back but hands on my breasts. There's always accomodation for the cat, who has to be sleeping on my hip when I am on my side or on my chest in the morning. I wake up every morning with cat heiney on my chin.
    TheBubzilla likes this.
  9. LoveWins

LoveWins New Member

I start off foetal, end up starfish
  10. starshine

starshine New Member

Foetal position.

I start off lying down in 'soldier' position, then as I feel dozy [yey mirtazapine!] I curl up on my left side - facing the side wall, my bed always has to be up against a wall on at least 2 sides - in the foetal position.
    redflashlight likes this.
  11. Flower

Flower Well-Known Member

The muscles in my shoulders are all torn up, so I have to sleep so my arms are not in any kind of strain. So, flat on back with my arms at my sides. I like to have them up by the pillow, but in the morning my shoulders lock up and I can't move or put on clothing (oops! this isn't a nudist workplace? :p )
  12. absence

absence New Member

That's my favorite sleeping position for bed. It's also my kitties favorite as it allows one to sleep on my butt and the other to sleep on the pillow in my hair.

I also have to have my bed up against two walls and away from any windows. If I can't put the bed anywhere away from a window(s) then I need to sleep as far from the window(s). I also have to be covered in my quilt. Regardless of the season.

When I have a bad night and can't sleep I usually end up napping the next day on the love seat while sitting up.
  13. Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel Well-Known Member

I sleep in what's called the 'Warrior' position - sleeping on your side, with both arms out front and bent so that hands sort of in front of face, and one leg straight and one leg bent... it is apparently called the Warrior because you are ready to go into battle at any moment.
  14. Invictus_88

Invictus_88 New Member

Other.

On back, legs straight crossed at the ankles, arms crossed over chest with hands clasped or against collarbones. Supremely comfortable. Best way to fall asleep, for me.
  15. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt!

I constantly shift positions. It depends on stress levels, how bad the nightmares are, where the dog is or isn't and what part of my back is throbbing that night.

Usually my bed is ripped apart by morning.

bec
  16. Insane in York

Insane in York New Member

I start out in the foetal position, and wake up that way. My wife tells me that I am an extremely violent sleeper, and have punched, kicked and elbowed the poor woman in my sleep.
  17. Lisa

Lisa New Member

I'm always foetal. The only thing that varies is which side, depends on whether I'm massively hyprvigilant or not.
  18. CafeAulait

CafeAulait New Member

I am all over the bed all night long. I don't stay in one place, I'm always moving and shifting positions.
  19. Waga

Waga New Member

I always sleep in foetus or freefall. When I feel better then freefall, once my condition worsen then foetus. Recently more foetus.
  20. wattle

wattle Well-Known Member

I start with the freefall and end up as a log on the very edge of my bed as far away from my hubby as I could possibly get without falling out of bed...always makes me feel bad that subconciouslyly I feel the need to move away from him.
  21. damaged goods

damaged goods New Member

mostly on my right side, my head on my wife's left breast, lips just touching her nipple is my happy place. Or stretched out as fas as I can on my left side. I have to sleep with my head somewhat elevated so the ICP (intercranial pressure) doesn't get too high or my seizures come back a lot and sleeping is just not an option.
    goingonhope likes this.
  22. Grainne

Grainne New Member

I went with foetal, but really - I spend most of my sleeping hours sleepwalking and getting up and down and flipping around (so I'm told). I fall alseep curled up however.
  23. naturalfirebrand

naturalfirebrand New Member

Sleep Position

I sleep, when I manage to, on my side with a pillow braced against my lower back and another one between my bent legs.

I have been told I never move while sleeping. If I want to turn over I have to wake up and start the process over.

Linda
  24. ams

ams New Member

I sleep on my back a lot. I fall asleep on my back and my legs kinda spread out. Or sometimes I'll turn onto one side or the other, depending on which side of my neck has a pinched nerve in it at the time.

Sleeping on my back has helped a ton with my back problems.
  25. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

I must say, that I reached a point in reading how everyone else sleeps when I realized that I'm going to need to check the 'Other' choice as I sleep in more then one position.

Also, I reached a point in reading this thread that I was chuckling and LMAO. You'all are too funny.

Anyhow chiefly I've fallen asleep in the soldier position and wake up in the Freefall position. However, I'd prefer if only I could ever fall asleep in the Freefall position and then wake up in the soldier position, but I try and with no success.

Could never begin to sleep in the foetus, log, or yearner positions.

There are those many of nights though that I've fallen asleep in the soldier position and awoken just the same way.

On distressful and distraught evenings I just don't sleep until I collapse luckily in the soldier position and then sleep through the night in warrior position.

Lately though, I've been experiencing sleeping in the starfish position with Ipod in place.