1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

What The Doc Said - Forum Acknowledged As Learning Mechanism

Discussion in 'General' started by Terry, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Went to the Psychologist today. During the conversation I told him that I joined a PTSD forum. I didn't know whether or not to tell him about it B/C I was sure he would put it down. I was WRONG. He said it might even speed my progress up some to see others have similar problems with PTSD. He asked if I had learned anything here yet and I outlined some of the things I had learned about me while on this forum. Good deal. Doc said stay the course. Thank you gals/guys so much. :kiss:

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

You are welcome! But, Terry, you are the one doing the work. It takes quite a bit of courage to even join let alone, post. You should be thanking yourself. Besides, you have been helping others by telling your story. It's a win, win!

4. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Terry,

I was in your shoes a couple of weeks ago when I screwed my courage to the sticking place and told my therapist about this forum. I called it an 'online support group'. He said basically the same thing that your doc did. He also told me that being around people that can 'get it' because of the shared issues that arise from PTSD (even if it's online) would help me not to feel so isolated. It was kind of a 'whew' moment because no matter what he said, I wasn't going to give this place up since I'm learning and have had so much support and help.

Adding my thanks to everyone, as well.:smile:

5. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Yep, I think you should give yourself some pats on the back to be honest Terry, because whilst we understand, it is you that accepts any knowledge, learning and education, it is you that implements these techniques and learning strategies.... you do the work.

6. Josh77

Josh77 Active Member

Good morning, everyone! Terry brought up a good point... i see my doctor this Tuesday, and i don't know if i should tell him that i joined the forum or if i should just skip that bit of info. Terry received a good response when he told his doc, but i might not have the same experience... i don't want my doc to tell me to stay away from the forum. i guess, i'll think on it a bit...

7. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Most of us, at least all who have posted have had positive resonses from docs from being involved in this group. I have yet to hear a negative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar