• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What the eff is going on with my psychiatrists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking two weeks off to get through hellish side effects of a medication that might work is out of the question.
Side effects taper in intensity.

You may need to up your tolerance, or start on a friday and schedule a monday off as a personal day, or sick day.

Stay with the wellbutrin and talk to your doc about an increase in dose. If you don't have extreme negative side effects now, you likely won't.

Hello. I have had the same response to meds as you describe. We went through at least 10 and a variety of others. All of them either made me so sick with physical symptoms or my symptoms of depression worsened. The sleepiness was not an option for me for work and home issues. Here is what did work for me. I was lucky I had a doctor willing to try and he believed me. I ended up taking 1/2 of 75 mg Wellbutrin. I cut those in half. These are NOT the time released ones, those can't and shouldn't be cut. So i only took 1/2 pill of 75 mg. Plus, AS NEEDED I took 2.5 mg of valium. AS NEEDED. Sometimes I would take basically a "crumb" of the lowest dose pill of Clonodine. So the lowest does pill of Clonodine and I would take a very small piece of that. I always run low on blood pressure so I can't take too much. The Clonodine was a miracle drug for suddenly feeling irritable or just feeling the pressure and intensity of many chaotic emotions. It was a miracle drug for when I wanted to reach for alcohol. Valium also helped me not reach for alcohol and it too was a miracle drug. The valium and clonodine I would take near bed time and this helped with sleep. It cut down on the symptoms of screaming out in my sleep or kick boxing in my sleep and waking up in a terror. I am very sensitive to chemicals, and this worked for me. I discovered vitamin B 12 supplements made me really really anxious and depressed. It is not that well known but it is true that supplements can cause anxiety. If I am not medically deficient in a mineral or vitamin I do not supplement. I stay away from sugar and don't eat any foods with "sugar" in the ingredients. Now for the searing pain of feeling abandoned by my therapist (feared and imagined) no pill touches that. The pain of a broken and abandoned heart is so intense it feels like a knife and feels like there is no cure for it. Today I refuse to allow myself to feel suicidal now over these things--this has taken a long while to get this point since suicidality is habit I started when I was so young. Today, I say to myself, "stop, right now." in a compassionate way though--not in a mean way.

It took me 2 weeks to get used to my anti-psychotic (Seriquel XR 50mg to start - lowest XR dose) so I had to take 2 weeks off work. It was the same for all the anti-depressents. At least a week min. Giving it less then that them you are giving up too fast.

I never heard of Clonodine. It is mainly for blood pressure?

Clonodine is a BP med but commonly prescribed to lower nightmares and help ine stay asleep.

Clonodine is a BP med but commonly prescribed to lower nightmares and help ine stay asleep.
It helps with "obsessing" and the dull anxiety and with irritability. It's prescribed at the lowest dose possible for this need, but I have to use just a crumb of it. If someone has anger problems, it's very helpful. I took during day time as needed. helped with chaotic emotions/fear/ it is not a sedative. not addicting

Anti-depressants do not work for me as they have made my ptsd symptoms worse and I am highly sensitive to any drugs I've tried...so I use a light box for my depression.

I went through this long ago until I found a psychiatrist who said I didn't need meds I needed intensive, long term trauma therapy. It worked. As long as I'm in weekly talk therapy, everything is Mana.

And these are the very symptoms I struggle most with. And yet they've prescribed me antidepressant after antidepressant a...
I had to ask my psychiatrist to try it. I'm happy he was always willing to listen and try and was NEVER offended when I asked to try something I read about. (this was 25 years ago when it wasn't even used in psychiatry. What a great doc I had!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back