• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What To Never Say To A Ptsd Sufferer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst is...."get over it". Like, you don't know how I feel inside!!!!

Also hate "maybe if you wouldn't talk about it so much, you would move past it". First of all, I don't think I constantly talk about it, but, even if I did, that's my process. People who love me should love me no matter what. Period.

Ok, I couldn't read 23 pages so I'm just posting!

Well just don't worry and you'll be fine!
----uhm, ok dumb-ass, I have a STRESS disorder and sometimes I'm anxious for no other reason than the sky being blue. (This person has ADD and next time, I'm gonna turn it around on him and tell him to just FOCUS!!)

I think there ought to be some prefessionals, family and friends who need to read and memorize all these sayings!!

Keep your chin up...:meh:
Hang in there (love this one, give me the rope, no problem!)
This too shall pass..WHEN???????? After I have passed?
Just think of the good days...Excuse???? There are no good days for some of us, how bout you have some really bad days then pull yourself up by the boot straps or even put on your big girl panties!!

Just think positive...You mean it's THAT easy?????? Swear I tried it and it didn't work out?

GREAT answers to all!

"Why would you let these people from so many years ago have this much power over your life now?"
If I could turn that off, I would!!

"That's just kids being kids. Kids are mean!"
Kids may be mean but it's hard to get over sexual brainwashing and living in fear every day for months that these sickos may follow through on the disgusting images they planted in my head!

"You need to stop focusing on this. Cut back on therapy. You need to distract yourself all day by keeping busy so you don't get caught up in it. Don't read books or articles about it, read romances."

Can you say denial, lol. I am frustrated that people don't understand it takes as long as it takes to get better, and usually longer than a year. I always read up on things and I think it has helped me! Yikes!

The one I've been getting a lot lately is 'let it go'. Really? You want me to just let go of the abuse? Well sure, let me just do that right now.

huh...didn't work. Wonder why...could it be the 'D' in PTSD? If it were possible to just get 'better', I would in a heart beat.

And being sad or afraid does not make me a pessimist. It means I'm still recovering from a traumatic situation.

I am so glad I have found this site. I have been told so many of these things and it irritates me and sometimes makes me really angry. People always want to make comments not knowing anything about PTSD. A lot of people think it's just a variation of depression, and as they have had that - they are now an expert on what I should be doing.

PTSD is completely different to depression and much harder to treat. And even more so if it's C-PTSD and delayed by 20 years as mine is.

I'm starting to withdraw from people because I know they will say things that aren't helpful and some things they say are quite hurtful. People want to lesson the severity of it and I can't be bothered to try and keep explaining. Some people even stop me trying to explain how severe it is - like I'm exaggerating. If they truly care, they would want to know.

'This is JA, pull yourself together'....Wait while I do that, won't take me five.

'Why didn't you report it' and 'Why didn't you tell anyone? ...Urrr, well do I really have to explain - yeah I do cause your so f*cking stupid to see? (I would never though, those people don't deserve a response). They need to go get themselves sorted let alone me.

'It happened years ago'. Yeah, I f*cking know that, I was there!

A few of the have had so far are these and what I would like to say in response:

'you are a such a drama queen' - yes 5 abusive relationships including with both my parents, plus CSA for several years and then a kidnapping and over 3 years of almost daily rape plus physical, mental and emotional abuse - are really not much to deal with, doh silly me!

'just get over it' - yes I deliberately have nightmares, flashbacks, anxiety issues, panic attacks etc etc.

'let it go' - I'd like to see you let it go! You can't cope if you break a fingernail!

'you are not who you are because of what happened to you' - So when did you qualify as a pyschologist then?

'But you have been fine for so long, why re-visit all this now?' - How about you just don't visit me for a while?

I haven't said these replies, but in my more irritated moments, I have really wanted to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back