• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What's One Memory That Makes You Smile Or Perhaps Even Laugh When You Think About It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me Myself and I

MyPTSD Pro
I very often find myself smiling, if not laughing in a bus stop or in a queque, because of something that I have rememered!!

One of the memories that most make me laugh, is of my brother and sister racing, when all of a sudden they both tripped over something, and fell on the grass. Thank God none of them got hurt, but they sat there laughing for almost half an hour, and that was "according to me" really funny lol. :laugh:

What is your memory?

When I was about 11 or 12 years old my grandfather took me fishing on the Missouri river in Northern US. My grandfather has been fishing on that river since he was a kid and I loved it when he took me fishing. But I hated actually catching the fish becasue I think they are gross, smell bad and will some how bite me.

But anyway...

We get on the river and it's beautiful day. The river has many sandbars on it and some are quite big and we get into the habit of stopping and exploring them. We watch a farmer harvesting his crops from our boat, we look at some cattle next to the river, we pass a historical site that you can take your boat up too. We do this for hours and hours. And got pretty sunburned.

When we got back to the docks there was a boat with about 4 or 5 men in it. My family is from a very very small town in a very rural area so everybody knows everyone. One of the men in the boat is the local sheriff. He looks at my grandfather and says "We were just about to go look for you."

The boat full of men had been a search party. We had been gone so long that my grandmother though something happened to us. She went down to the sheriffs office, who formed a search party and had even contacted a local farmer that was going to take up his crop plane and search of us along the river.

When we got back my grandmother was so angry. I don't think I have ever seen someone so angry in my life. She yelled and yelled at us and then slammed the door behind her. My grandfather and I looked at each other and we laughed.

I know from my grandmother's point of view it wasn't funny. AT ALL. The river can be dangerous, people do get hurt, lost, people drown.

But it is still one of my best memories in all those years of pain and terrible depression as a kid. I still look back at that and smile and laugh.

My most cherished memory, at the moment, is seeing my Oma's beaming smile, when I won a history award, at my grade 8 graduation, in 1985. Junior public school had been, a very hard time for me, on many fronts, as my Opa had passed away, on my 14th birthday, and I went into a depression that no one noticed, at time. And the bullying continued for me. I will always remember her expressive face, when she hugged me, afterwards. Thank you, Oma, for this precious memory, from my childhood that isn't tainted by abuse.

Remembering my son and his potato dance that he did when he was under 2. He's seventeen now. He use to love eating potatoes and would do a little dance while eating them.

Thinking of my other son and all the dances he does to be funny. He's quite a character too and he's 14.

I guess, just thinking of my children's antics over the years makes me smile. For some reason it is their moments I remember most. Not mine.

For me it is the priceless expression on my wife's blushing face when I walked up to the door of her house for our first date, she is very shy. I was thinking "I was at the wrong house" and she actually blurted that out! We still joke about it. Apparently she had had really bad luck with guys and I was actually Mr. Right in her mind. Seventeen years later and we still irritate and support each other throughout our irrational lives! I still think I am MR. Insane, but hey I won't tell her.

When I need a laugh, I think about my ex wiping out of the shower, literally, and into the door frame. Just ain't nothing funnier than a naked guy getting hurt, I guess. For a few hours of pain, he gave me a lifetime of lols.

My 14 year old recently watched a Blue's Clues episode that he hasn't watched since he was a wee little one. I just smiled remembering how he use to carry his notebook around and sit in his blue's clues chair. This was while he was still in diapers so that is a mighty long time ago. I miss those days. But little things like this remind me and make me smile if not chuckle. Thank goodness he is so nostalgic.

I woke up one morning to my dog having a black happy face on one leg and a unhappy face on the other. While I was sleeping my son and daughter put black hair dye on her legs. When I took her to the vet, the vet said she had never seen markings like that.

The next day, my daughter woke up to her cat all colorful with many different colors of markers.

That was so funny.

When my young one was a little tyke and use to turn to me and go "Who knows mom?, Right, who knows?". He must have been around three. Guess mommy must have said that once too often. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back