• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Military What's really going on?

• Thread starter Cowboy_incognito
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cowboy_incognito

So, therapist says I have PTSD. I have fought this diagnosis for years, but it all lines up. I had a bad day, a really bad day, a week ago. I hadn't had a bad day in a good while, just anxious days. I finally had to come to terms with the fact that PTSD is the only thing that makes sense. I was in a non-combat mos. Mortars, mortars did this to me. I dream about them. Am I just a pansy ass? I had a few close calls, but I always thought I was just being weak, after all it's not real combat, right? It seems like it is just getting worse. The feelings are happening more often. Now I am a recruiter ,and... man... It seems like this job triggers me so often... I don't know what to do. Don't think my command knows enough to care, and, well, it's not like recruiting leadership is the most loving bunch anyway. Just looking for a place to share my thoughts and found here. Sorry if reading this is a waste of time, I just don't know where to go, and therapy is only one blessed hour a week.

I was in a non-combat mos. Mortars, mortars did this to me. I dream about them. Am I just a pansy ass? I had a few close calls, but I always thought I was just being weak, after all it's not real combat, right? It seems like

Yea. Bout that.. You can't say mortars and non combat in the same sentence. if someone is sending mortars your way it's combat. maybe not boots on the ground front row combat...But you dont have to be directly in combat for ptsd....someone trying to kill you with random mortars counts!I

And If you are troubled by people trying to blow you up you are not a pansy ass. You are a person who has ptsd because people tried to kill you. And there are many of us here. So you found the right place!!!

It makes total sense that being a recruiter would trigger you. I'm assuming you are still active? Can you get the therapist to give you more appointments each week until you get on top of what this all means and you get some coping skills in place?

In the mean time hang out with us and see that you are not alone

Welcome!!

Make sure to check out the 4th Cup - Military Training, but the whole damn article is gold >>> The PTSD Cup Explanation

Deployed to an operational theatre is enough.

Welcome aboard ... :sneaky: As far as being a pansy? Shrug. Probably not, but if you were? Easy way to fix that. Work your ass off getting squared away, instead of "I'm fine, dammit." and ignoring the problem, shoving it down, and avoiding it. Break yourself? Physical therapy, PT, etc. It's hard. It hurts. It's doable. PTSD? Same deal. Different docs.

Stone cold bitch, and far more painful than it has any right to be... but what isn't, that's really worth it?

Yea. Bout that.. You can't say mortars and non combat in the same sentence.

Also that ^^^

DGAFF what your MOS was. You're there? You're there.

Last edited:
I appreciate the replies. I have been feeling a bit better lately. I think that I have been coming to terms with the diagnosis, and that in itself is helping some of the anxiety.
I didn't think about the mortars like that I guess, I just didn't necessarily equate them.
Yes, I am still active.
Thank you for the perspective, it does help to get input and not just listen to the noise in my head.

Not a pansy... I too was non combat... but in the diagnosis process and subsequent therapy sessions it became clear in my case that I had the disorder prior to serving. Not sayin' that's your case, but my military service didn't help things any and there were subsequent traumas. I wasn't diagnosed til later in life - but like you had to accept that it made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back