• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll When Did the Symptoms of PTSD First Appear, After the Initial Traumatic Event?

When Did The Symptoms of PTSD First Appear, After the Initial Traumatic Event?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I put one one to three months because that was when I noticed the symotoms. My trauma lasted for a little over 6 years on an everyday basis. When I left the situation I got into therapy even before the symptoms started to really develop.

Mine started in the first few months after the trauma had happened. My doctor sent me to a therapist during this time as I started self harming and had severe symptoms. It took about 7 years to learn to live with it.

I have been told by three psychologists that my PTSD should have been diagnosed as a child, though it never was. I only started seeing a T and getting help for flashbacks and anxiety after my assault when I was 19, much of my childhood has been blocked from my memory, so my answer was 12 months or more.

I started showing some very unconscious signs about a year or so afterwards, when my relationship with my dad eventually shifted quite a bit (I guess it might have even been earlier than that, now I think of it). Two-three years ago (which would have made it approximately 6-10 years after the event) I then told my boyfriend that I was extremely uncomfortable around my uncle when he visited, although I had no clue why it was such a bad feeling.

The moment I actually recalled the event, however, which triggered the PTSD symptoms from then on, happened only... 7 months ago? So this is a full 13 years afterwards, when I was at university, but likely to be due to the sudden extreme stress I felt, along with other issues. From that day onwards I've gradually become a lot more unpredictable in my behaviour, and now it certainly connects the dots, so to speak.

I started to have PTSD with in weeks of something that happend It was super bad when I was restrained by an un welcomed person It was weeks after that the first time I could remember having PTSD and I got super sick but It made me remember things that I forgot or had not thought about in 25 years or longer. Now that I am here with PTSD it has changed my life. I think I have millions of questions but don't know which question to ask first.

With being pregnant with my 2nd child, the PTSD blew me off of my feet with full blown flash backs. It was frightening!! My PTSD is from Domestic Violence - to be less confusing.

I was in a violent relationship when I was younger and mixed in potentially violent circles where fear was played on to some extent (drugs involved). I ran away from it and was totally numb for some years...but its hard to say whether that was stopping drugs, or a reaction to the final attack. It wasn't full on ptsd, but I do believe it was a pre-curser. In 2006, somebody known to me developed an obsession that eventually led to them trying to kill me. The first symptoms of ptsd showed within 12 months of that, but the change in my character and other peoples reactions to that, I think have made the symptoms progressively worse, and needing professional help.

I went for 12 months

The truth is I really dont know - I was put on diazepan when I was 5 and stayed on it for the whole of my school life until one day I realised that they weren't stopping anything from happening :cry:. I did have some regression therapy about 5 years ago, and apparently the trauma started when I was 3 years old :eek: :cry:

There was a delay of three months. Although there was also something that happened in that third month. I have a crazy f*cking sister who crushed me with some really f*cking crazy words. About a few days after that it was like I had the devil in me. So I'm not sure if it was a delay or if my sister's words really did push me over the edge.

My trauma was in late September, it's now the end of November and my symptoms are now just beginning to show. I was fine all throughout the weeks following the attack and all of October and November until now. It's like a wall just broke down in my brain and everything's coming out.

I too had a very traumatic childhood. I agree with everyone that my symptoms started about 12 months afterwards when I was 11 years old. I didn't understand them as a child neither did anyone else in the family. They all thought that I was just going through a childhood depression but knew inside it was something more. But it wasn't until at about age 16 that I knew there was a problem but learned how to "deal" with it with alcohol and maryjowana.

IMO the poll should include "can't remember" as a choice, because really, we are talking about PTSD here and many sufferers do have memory problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back