• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Childhood When Does The Pain End?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28942
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had physical pain so badly I couldn't walk this year, and am on disability. Mine was electrical and sharp and felt like it was in my connective tissues, or nervous system. I had to get on pristiq an snri with an anti anxiety property to it. It does come and go but came back bad last year after being retraumatized again, and flooded with memories going back to 4.
I'm working on rumination now as working through it 24/7 didn't go very well. I am in therapy but just started. The medication is helping and for once I found a shrink who wouldn't put me on mood stabilizers as I have ptsd with major depression. You might want to look into temporary medication to help the edmr of possible. Just a thought. It's helped me so much.

I had physical pain so badly I couldn't walk this year, and am on disability. Mine was electrical and...
I resolved one memory last session and the pain in my neck and back is almost gone. I started waking up feeling alive and standing taller and straighter than before. I have two sessions this week and I hope a little bit more will be resolved.

I've been in EMDR for 3 years. It's f*cked. I totally get what you're asking. I too have had the major traumas desensitized (resolved?) but the underlying core issues remain. I don't think EMDR can help me with those, or I guess, even if it can, I'm really stinking tired of doing EMDR. Every week I do one hour session, and then have to sleep the rest of the day I'm so tired. I then spend the next several days trying not to kill myself there is so much pain, plus horrible nightmares and a giant headache. I don't want to live like this. Feeling the despair at having done so much EMDR and still basically feeling at the root of me, that there are no resolutions to the cruelty of humans, the unpredictable nature of death, that I will never have the life I wanted, that I am fundamentally damaged. Van der Kolk talks about for Complex, it can't just be EMDR. It has to be a mix of things, like yoga (and any mind-body practices like meditation), biofeedback, etc.

I feel like I've been down the EMDR road and hit my limit. At what point is EMDR actually making quality of life worse because of all the wounds it actively pours salt on? At what point would I be better off just letting go and stopping therapy and trying to enjoy my life now rather than every week going and living back in hell?

I'll tell you one thing for sure, EMDR is no panacea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone here with childhood trauma how long did it take you to process the pain and hurt?

I never had EMDR. I don't think I could handle it for any length of time. I'm still processing the pain and hurt. I've been in therapy on and off since I was 25 years old and I just turned 64.

I'll say the pain and hurt has lessened considerably for the most part. Though it depends on if something triggered me which is beyond my control. Latest, my dog died. Death triggers me. I went into a tailspin with PTSD going haywire. Though overall I have less nightmares and other PTSD symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back