1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

When is Therapy Done?

Discussion in 'Social' started by pandora, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandora

pandora I'm a VIP

OK, here goes, any advice would be appreciated. I have been doing cognitive behaviour therapy and exposure therapy (have had about 35 sessions) Now, i still have about 20 sessions that have already been approved by criminal injuries.
    This is the problem, i don't want to go anymore but I don't know it this is just avoidance or if I really am done.
    When i started therapy i was not even safe to drive as I was having intense flashbacks, vomiting etc.
    Now, i am able to drive but I have a lot of physical symptoms ( also have my criminal injuries hearing next week) so my symptoms are worse right now but I am able to see outside the bubble and know that once next week is over they will subside again.
    i have been running for years literally and i don't know whether this is what I am doing again or if maybe I just need a break. The sessions are awful, emotional and I feel like i am zoning out now. I just don't know if I should continue or wait. I know I avoid, avoid, avoid. i don't know if this is what I am doing or if it is really ok to just leave it. I want to be done with this but I am not sure if stopping my therapy will prolong things or make me feel a bit better. At this point i feel like it is keeping me stuck in a past that just won't let go. But, if i stop and then re-start will it just prolong this?
    i am just so confused.........Any input would be appreciated.
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this.
    pandora

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Seems therapy has helped you so far. Wouldn't give up on it so soon. Know the addage "it gets worse before better"? Supposed to hurt. Otherwise what the hell is the point in going. My advice? Tough it out. When the insurance runs out you can re-evaluate and decide if you need a break then. Personally wouldn't give up in the middle however. Make use of the weeks you are given. Just my opinion. Best wishes.

Jim.

4. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Hello Pandora, I agree with Jim. I get to the same point quite frequently. I guess what makes me decide to continue is, I ask myself the question, am I gaining anything from this therapy. Would I do the same work on myself without it? Would I keep the pressure myself. The answer, honestly for me, is...probably not. I'd rather avoid it, bury it. So for the moment, its a bit of a discipline thing for me. The therapist doesn't force me to do anything but going each week makes me keep working on things. The other thing I ask myself is, if things got really bad again could I and would I seek help again and/or go back for more therapy. At the moment, I'm not sure I wouldn't just keep running. That just means I'm not ready yet. I'm still running from the hurt not staying put and fixing it.