• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll When Taking A Shower, Do You Face The Shower Head Or Have Your Back To It?

When taking a shower, do you face the shower head or do you have your back to it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoy a long shower. It doesn't matter which way I stand. Although my back is my sore spot (I was beaten almost every day by my mothers fist on my upper back) I love to feel the water running down my back. The water-jet should not be to strong, rather gentle, soft. It feels almost like a healing touch! - But I also love to hold my face and forehead near the shower and enjoy to follow the several ways, the water runs down my body.

I did autogenous training for quite a long time, with a group. We met every week during almost three years. One of the first things we learned, was to take a shower in a slow, deliberately and sensible way. Everyone was surprised of the result: All of us sensed all the different parts of our bodies in a very conscious way. To re-learn to take time for oneself, even during a simple thing like to shower, was a great experience!

I shower with my back facing the water. I always have ever since I remember my mother helping me soap up as a toddler. I like to shower with my back facing the water because it's the easiest way for me to stay warm.

I did autogenous training for quite a long time, with a group. We met every week during almost three years. One of the first things we learned, was to take a shower in a slow, deliberately and sensible way. Everyone was surprised of the result: All of us sensed all the different parts of our bodies in a very conscious way. To re-learn to take time for oneself, even during a simple thing like to shower, was a great experience!
I have to agree with SweetLullaby on this one. I never did autogenous training, but I take long slow showers because it's where I feel the most free with myself and my emotions. It's the most therapeutic thing for me, because all the smells, all the suds, all the foamy soaps calm my nerves. I just recently started taking baths and I can't say I enjoy it more than a shower. I get just as much relaxation out of taking a shower. :)

I face both ways and all around!

I don't have a shower at home, only a bath, so when I get that luxury I just love it. I'm like a kid in a paddling pool! It is so good to be able to was my hair in the shower instead of with a jug and I love the water running down my back.

I so wish I had a shower!

@AllyB - Thank you for starting this poll! Really makes me feel validated.

Until my abuse, my back would face the shower head... but since my head faces it because I feel the need to the source of the water (after too many times of water being dumped on my head until I couldn't breathe).

Sending my support to everyone here :)

Okay.

In light of this thread...I find it interesting that so many people are triggered in the shower.

I am too and I can't figure out why. I have to take baths because every time I try and take a shower, I dissociate . .

Thank you for this question! I'm really struggling with showers but I'm just now getting back into counseling. I've always hated water getting on my face in the shower but just figured it was a quirk. But for the last couple of years I have panic attacks just at the thought of taking a shower. I actually went five months once and I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not so far from that record right now. I learned the other day from my doctor (counselor/PhD) that it could be related to some kind of sensory overload kind of thing. I still haven't made it to the shower yet but at least I'm on the road to understanding this aversion.

Other. 360 degrees.

I was about to say I have no bathroom related trauma, but that's not exactly true. I've been attacked in the shower a few times, and in the bathroom a few more, but I don't have any real thing about the space. More BLISS! Hot water! Yay! I love showers. Sluicing off the day, or waking up in the morning, or getting clean after getting dirty, or grounding out & removing the scent of rage or fear. Love it. Really, really love hot running water. Even if it's from a sun warmed bag hung from a tree. Beach showers don't count. Those are just cold damn hoses attached to an insult in the shape of a spigot. If they were hot they'd be awesome. Being cold? They can bite me. Like carob for chocolate. Shudder. And I don't even like chocolate that much. But carob is still just wrong. Hot running water, baby! Hell yes!

I don't spin around like a ballerina or anything, but I do turn around under the water a lot. Love having my face in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back