• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Who do you tell about you ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.

loui50

MyPTSD Pro
Who do you tell? I feel like having PTSD is a big secret. I'm on disability and I just tell people we chose for me to be a stay at home mom. I feel embarassed and stigmatized and I don't know if it is me or if it is really there. My family all know, and I talk freely around them. But I don't tell friends. I have a couple new friends. We met because all of our kids went to preschool together. They are all homeschooling for kindergarten and I can't because, well, I can't handle it. I don't know what to tell them. I just tell them homeschooling isn't for my family. Part of me wants to tell them the truth but I don't have any friends locally but these two moms and I don't want to lose them. But then I think If they can't accept that I have PTSD and it is not my fault and not really anything that has to affect them, then maybe they shouldn't be my friends. So who do you tell?

You can tell or not tell whoever you feel comfortable telling. I understand your concerns, mental health issues aren't seen as seriously as physical issues. If you feel you're ready and comfortable to tell your friends and you think that you have to to explain your situation then I would. I'm always very open with people I know however I understand that there's a lot of fear and a social stigma against people with mental health problems.
Me personally, the only people I never tell are the people who I work with. I just like to cover myself just in case I get discriminated against at work when I do work. But most of my friends know, those who I'm most comfortable with, and my family know as well.

I used to tell everyone, since I wanted to fight against the stigma. Now I only tell someone if there is a reason. I met a new friend, and I didn't disclose that I had PTSD, until she invited me to come hear her sing, and I couldn't make myself leave the house. I wanted her to know that I wanted to come, and I wasn't just blowing her off.

I had eye surgery and told the surgery team, since I was awake during it. I just don't volunteer the info much anymore. I try to live my life without PTSD taking over, but I always have to be aware. It is a hard balance.

Family wise, only my husband knows and he doesn't understand it at all. I don't think that he wants to understand. I have 6 friends that know. And I had to tell 1 work friend because I might need support on that day if therapy/emdr goes wrong. Other than that I dont freely talk about it. After I tell someone, I worry about the stigma. My friends don't seem to act any different andmy work friend seems more sensitive. He knows that he is good friends with one of my main triggers. Telling him actually helped diffuse my cognitive distortion connecting those two together.

Hi there Loui.
It is hard to decide who to tell and who to not. A lot of the time for me it has been the start of the end to that relationship. Or it seems like it anyway. I have no close family so I tried to tell some of my extended family when I was in crisis last year. I never heard anything more from them. I am possibly very hard to get along with I am easily excited and say what comes to my mind. I don't have a lot of control over what I say when I get going. So I can kind of understand them being reserved but not none existent.It hurts a lot. I also have told a few people that it made our friendship more important.
I would like to stop telling people that I have PTSD. So far I have not been able to stop myself. It is like I am trying to help them understand why I am who I am. It took a lot to get me here and the more I talk about it the more I hope that I understand what has gone on. Right now I feel very much misunderstood.
Peace be safe

I'm pretty open about it. I don't blurt it out to random strangers but if people ask I answer. I really don't care if some random idiot makes a snap judgement as a result. Its easier to deal with than someone finding out after a couple of years and then deciding being a vet with PTSD makes me a ticking timebomb. Its better to get the stigma and prejudices out in the open early on.

Who do you tell? I

Who I feel comfortable telling.

For a long while, my dad & step mom were the only ones that knew. They live with me and are affected by PTSD & BPD issues. But after I started to train my service dog in training and posting public videos (which I always share on facebook for those that know him) and then started to get questions so now the bulk of my family and "friends" know. But thats it. Not my job or anyone I interact with locally but those that live with me.

For me PTSD is a constant companion, however people come and go. Most noticed that I was different without me saying anything.:alien: Those with PTSD themselves -I never had to tell as they knew from the vibes.

But I do not feel compelled to share to those in 3D anything personal in order to coexist in any relationship. Trust is earned and the stigma of a mental disability can be heavy. So consider each case individually, weight the possible benefits -for actual support and acceptance can be elusive with all the misinformation out there concerning PTSD.

Some of my family and some of the people I work with. I told the people at work because a lot of ptsd symptoms happen there. I try to explain why I do this or have to take a break to calm my mind. I told my neurology doctor (to explain why I haven't been there in 2 years). Other than that, there is no need for me to tell anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back