1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Who is The Voice of PTSD in the USA?

Discussion in 'General' started by scarlette_crimson, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scarlette_crimson

scarlette_crimson Active Member

Do we really have a voice here or is it pretty much taboo to have PTSD?
    If not why not?
    Has Anthoney or any one else gone on Oprah Winfrey to Pramote PTSD?
    I am not asking this becuse for myself. I am wondering in Genral why it is so hard to fined suport for the avrage Joe in this country?
    More citizens have PTSD.I use to think that unless you were shot and stabed
    People did not have PTSD............Soo wrong!
    I have no one here that even understands PTSD
    I am in a Bible belt so your sapose to pray everything away and and it will disapear other wise if it dose not Then god is just unhappy with you at this
    time.Thats a crock-O-Crap!

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Jaynea

Jaynea Member

Hi Scarlette..I think THIS may be the voice of PTSD. In NY they talk about it because it seems like the entire CITY got it on 9/11. But my husband has lost some friends and his job because of the culture of denial ..."Hey Sylvester Stallone never got PTSD and he went through alot in all his movies... " (???duh ) It may be too much for this country to face that people can break and it can be messy....Don't get me started..Sorry:mad:

4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Maybe a job for you scarlette?

5. scarlette_crimson

anthoney

How did I kow you would probibly say that.Whoa! never really enertained the thought!:poke: are you trying to taunt me into it.It would be about time for some one to do it.I know that I'm not ashamed for having this problem and I'm not sorry for having it.I really do have something to say as I am sure others do You are so funny.I would have picked someone else but maybe thats not being fare.There is one last hill I want to get over.And that is to know who were the people that rescued me.I still have a lot of amnisa I know who did this and I know were the witnesses(who by the way locked jaw out of fear) I know how many saw what happened.I know about what age I was 12 or thirteen I only found out seven years ago that I had replaced body parts.Ignored looking in the mirror since the age of thirteen and now I know why. In my flashes of a gun ringing out three times.Helicopters and ambulances triger me.I have crude scars all over my body.I would just like to pay a P.I. To tell me where the hell I was hospitalized so I can move even further forward.I want people to know who the monsters were by name and for the public to keep there children at bay.
    I am a firm believer in if you have the evidence to back you up.Then there is no stoping what you can do.
    What do you think: anthony

6. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

It's funny you brought this up. I've been thinking about the same bloody thing lately. Although, I was thinking of the Dr. Keith Ablow show. He breifly mentioned PTSD on one show, which got me thinking..

Ya never know?

Bec

7. kimG

kimG Well-Known Member

Scarlette,

If I remember correctly, Dr. Phil did a show a while back on PTSD. However, it has been a while and I think it's time for him or someone else (Oprah?? Hellooooooo....are you listening, Oprah???) to bring it to national attention again.

Heck, I would even do it with you, Scarlette!

8. scarlette_crimson

kim your so sweet,thanks!

9. anthony

I have already been down this road, and even though people like Oprah are lovely people wanting to help the world, she has the whole "look at me kimmy" shit going on when on that show.... the sterotype American crap that I despise so much already, being Australian. I rejected further discussion about me doing the show with her, but feel free those who live in the USA, because it does need to be said from the point of a sufferer, and not military, instead PTSD encompasses all walks of life.

10. cdunny

cdunny Active Member

Hey scarlette, I here ya on the bible belt thing. I love my church byt I swear everyone believes that if we just prayed more that all of our problems would go away. It sure makes a person feel awful bad for seeking help when their pastor is telling them that if they were a better christian they wouldnt need it.

11. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Amen! :smile:

12. anthony

If you look at the positive aspects of this christian mentality though, people are realising what prayer is and is not about. There is nothing wrong with believing, but how much faith you put within anothers hands is another story. I believe there is life after death, god, devil, good and bad, then those who walk the earth for whatever reason. I believe in faith, I believe in will, I believe in fate... all of which, I am not a christian, nor a religious person, but I still believe in certain things. For example, do things happen for a reason? Yes, they most certainly do.

Where I believe these guidance aspects go wrong, is when advice is sought from a person with bias, and in this case, a christian pastor / priest, whatever the case, bias towards their beliefs in God. They believe that God controls all... where in fact, God as outlined in the bible doesn't do that at all. God made rules, one of which is choice. He says "x" is right, "y" is wrong, and then leaves the choice to us. God gave the earth protection from the sun, but God did not put holes in the ozone layer, we did. We make those choices every day off our lives.

God is not going to help you with your PTSD, he merely provides the choice of whether you help yourself or not. It is like going to a shrink, where one believes in what he learnt from text books, and prescribes medication after medication, and his faith lie in that medication to help you. Another may be anti-medication and use other methods. Both by themselves could provide detremental results. Both by themselves have bias. Join the two and take the best aspects from each, and you have a more balanced, sensible approach. When I refer to medication, I mean both prescription and natural. Both have their positives and negatives, once again, a balanced approach often returns best results. As you heal, you then remove all these other factors from the equation, leaving you with you once again, to make the choices.

13. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry Well-Known Member

I've slowly been noticing PTSD mentioned more and more often in the media.

In the "Six Feet Under" TV series, one of the main characters develops PTSD
    On "House" the TV series, one of the shows is about a patient with PTSD
    On Dr. Keith Ablow a couple days ago...
    And there's a couple more examples I can't think of right now

But I agree that a documentry or national show would help raise awareness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar