• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Who Primarily Traumatized You Part II

Who Primarily Traumatized You (Part II)

• Mother, Father, Brother or Sister

Votes: 168 55.8%
  • Uncle, Aunt, Relative

Votes: 27 9.0%
  • Friend, Acquaintance, Co-Worker

Votes: 58 19.3%
  • Stranger

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • Was Not a Person, But Situation

Votes: 23 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Founder
In conjunction with upstreams thread, I wanted to look at this another way from what upstream has to gain a demographic of type.

Glad you added an additional array of possibilites which may invoke PTSD.

I initially chose (in the other poll), it was someone who "seemed" normal. I guess my offenders appeared normal to everyone else. But I like the more direct identification with this poll.

My main offender was my uncle-for having sexually molested me starting at the age of 6 (from what I remember).

I would have liked to choose my parents/siblings as well-because they were large contributors to all the PTSD from my childhood and adulthood. But, only being able to make one choice, I chose the more traumatic one for a child.

My family's abandonment and demeaning wasn't identified until recently. I always knew that what happened with my uncle was wrong-just took awhile to stop blaming myself as well.

Thanks Anthony!!!!! I couldn't vote in the other poll, so I am glad that you have this one.

I like this one, good angle Anthony. I like Ruddy's idea of Friend/Acquaintance. Perhaps work associate/co-worker would be good too.

I voted for the first option, it was my biological uncle who caused my trauma, but he did raise me and at the time I thought he was my father so I think that is the most accurate choice for me.

Interesting polls, both of them! Yours anthony and upstream's. At first I didn't think I could even vote on this one, bc I was confused with the definition of primarily. Had been thinking it was meaning most significantly, and for the life of me cannot choose between impact, importance and severity of traumas. Once, I looked it up in the dictionary I read: pri·mar·i·ly: 1. chiefly: mainly or mostly, And 2. originally: originally or at first.

So now going on the 2nd def. (originally), well that would be my father. Responding to the 1st def., and interpreting that as most chronic in nature, well then that would be my mother, and her lover (step-dad).

If I added in most debilitating and longstanding results, that would then be those already mentioned in addition to my sister, a stranger, and later an acquaintance. Those additions (those 3 in 86') seemed to have been a catalyst for complete breakdown and debilitation.

Considering everything will conclude and select: Primarily- mother, father, sister, brother.

***Though I don't have any brothers, I always fantasized and wished I did have an older brother (fantasy: the heroic sibling and brother, that would've, could've, should've, might've taught me and protected me throughout. ,,, as well as caring for and standing up for my sisters when they were very young).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back