• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Why Won't the PTSD Sufferer Get Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,
Thanks for all the input. It has been helpful getting some insight. I find it very hard to talk to hubby about getting help. About a year ago he actively tried getting help thru the VA but kept hitting walls and moving so many times didn't help. Now, he doesn't talk about getting help for the PTSD but has mentioned trying to get back in to the VA for some other health issues. Hopefully, just getting his foot in the door my open another door for him to seek some help. He gets very defensive when I bring it up so I have backed off. I know that PTSD is the underlayment of the issues we are dealing with. I don't think he knows I understand because I'm too scared to actually say that to him. Anyway, thank you for all your comments. It has helped. Being here always does!!

Hi, things have been calm at home for a while, hubby is carring on getting pissed every night but there has been no flip outs. I've not had time to look at the web site, for a while but I saw your post and its the same for me. He is a highly intelligent man and won't seek help. In his case he thinks two things how the hell can a civillian know what he has been through and subconsiously there is the feeling that he can't and doesnt deserve to be helped.
A work mate of hubby (who is not the brightest button) said that he has noticed for a while that B has PTSD (the fella has a sister who served in the gulf). It opened up a conversation for us and B said that he feels guilty about how it is effecting me and our boy and feels unworthy and we would be better off if he wasn't around. There is an association in the UK for ex service men mental health and I keep trying to get him to look at it.
I cannot force B to talk about it, but sometimes there is a window of opportunity when he will talk about it, so I take advantage and hopefully I will wear him down.

Nard, tell him to come and speak with me privately then... as I am a veteran myself, with PTSD, and healed. He is not going to tell me anything I haven't already suffered myself, and learnt the hard way. Maybe we can save both you and him much more prolonged grief, and get him to see things for what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back