1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Wife Goes Into a "Paralyzed State" Help! PTSD Anxiety Attacks

Discussion in 'Supporter Discussion' started by hamilte3, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamilte3

hamilte3 New Member

My new wife had multiple tramatic events of childhood sexual abuse and violence in her home and also, probably from her last husband. She experiences flashbacks when triggered from PTSD.

I cannot figure out what is happening when she goes totally unconcious recently. Usually she is upset and goes to "shut down" like a lot of PTSD victims do. She is know to dissocitiate and forget things. She thougt she was sleeping but is aware that I'm trying to revive here. She does not come out of it when I'm opening her eyes. She does not move in the least unlike when she is asleep. She does move or jump when I make a loud clap. She does sometimes move here eyes. It sometimes lasts for 2-3 hours where she does not move at all.

If anyone can give me ideas as to what they know or where I could look. The doctor in the emergency room didn't really say anything when we described it. I have read the Psychogenic non-epyleptice seziures tend not to believe. Also "physical paralysis" as well as mental is a possible symptom of PTSD or reaction to trauma.

If anyone can offer any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know. I believe it needs to be treated or could become worse. She is scheduled to see a really good psychologist in town on May 4rth. But I want it to be earlier treatment! Thanks for any thoughts.

-Ed

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0008

permban0008 Policy Enforcement Banned

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum. I am Kerrie-Ann, Anthony's wife. To be blunt, I don't know anything about the reaction you are describing in your wife. It sounds quite traumatic from both sides - hers and yours. I am sure Anthony will post soon, he may be able to shed some more light for you or one of the other mbrs might have experienced this. Wow, that would scare the hell out of me. I hope you find some answers/help soon.

4. hamilte3

hamilte3 New Member

Thank you Kerrie-Ann. It is traumatic and I was thinking about all day yesterday. My sister is a nurse and she said to take the pillow from under her head for breathing. My wife said she remembers what I say when she is like this. I think this is a "Psychogenic Non-Epyleptic Siezure". According to Web-MD a sign of it if you open their eyes, the try to keep them shut and they also look away from you. If she was paralyzed, then that couldn't happen. I also read that many doctors/therapist don't really listen when you tell them about it. They usually don't find it credible and making a video of it always gets their attention. My sister is going to give me a way of checking her vitals and report that to the doctor.

5. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Ok, sorry about the delay.

You need to contact these people directly, as your in the USA, and chat with them about this. Either contact them through their website, or make a phone call.

http://www.adaa.org (Anxiety Disorders Association of America)
    http://www.istss.org (International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies) ** Definately try this one.
    http://www.sidran.org (Sidran Institute)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar