• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Supporter Wife With Ptsd Just Moved Out In A Psychotic State

Status
Not open for further replies.

70Times7

New Here
I only wish I was making this up. I am seeking help in dealing with this nightmare with my wife whom I love dearly. We have been married for 37 years. 18 months ago our last child got married and moved out of the house. My wife has become less and less able to maintain her normal daily activities since then. She started treatment with a psychiatrist about the time of the wedding. A year ago my wife was diagnosed with major depression and PTSD.

6 months ago she started showing irritability and blowing up over seemingly insignificant things that rapidly degenerated into daily threats to divorce me. I started walking on eggshells when the panic attacks started and then really started blaming myself when the divorce threats started. 4 months ago she stopped taking meds so that she "could stay up and watch movies". Sleep deprivation lead to hypomania and greater irritability. She moved into another bedroom with limited contact for 6 weeks. Things were better for a few weeks until her childhood "safe place" uncle died of cancer a couple of weeks after that followed by holiday stress and another round of sleep deprivation. That culminated in a 20 mimute monologue on Christmas eve where she relived all the pains she has been carrying around from as far back as 50 years ago to as recently as earlier in the year in front of the kids and their spouses.

She stated she would be moving out on the day after Christmas. She was clearly not mentally well but apparently had been holding it together in fornt of her psychiatrist and therapist. She functionally declined further and started compusively spending a total of $45,000. he was admitted to a psychiatirc center for in-patient treatment for 6 days on 1/14. Bipolar was added to her diagnosis during this stay. Between Christmas and now she has stopped talking to me at all unless she wants something. She started Therapy in mid-December for her childhood sexual abuse and has been sleeping/medicating regularly since she got out a week ago. Can anyone give some suggestions of what to/not do to try and save our relationship?

Bear - Thanks. My counselor has been saying be steady to me for months. "excessively consistent" speaks more clearly to me.

I saw her briefly to swap vehicles this morning, but texting is my only allowed communication for the moment. Based on how stressed and irrational she seemed this morning, I guess I need to limit the texts to only the minimum necessary for survival coordination.

Space won't be a problem as she moved into an apartment about a mile away on Saturday and is avoiding all contact other than a text or two a day. On top of everything else she is angry and confused over me canceling all credit cards and checking account access for her after the pre-hospital spending binge. Since discussion is impossible at this point, she is on a cash diet large enough to cover all her expenses but has seen a lawyer in the last week since I "am not giving her everything to which she is entitled".

Sounds like you are where you need to be.

Preventing her from wasting money is actually good for her. If the marriage ended, then she would have much less money!

The fact that you have a Therapist is the best of all! Mine has been of great help to me...

Bear

Wow, I am so sad you are going through this ordeal with your wife. I would like to see you go to the supporters section in the forums and get to know the supporters who have been there and will understand and have good tips and advice for you. You are not alone.

I am so sorry this is happening to you. My heart goes out to you. Hugs.

I have PTSD and Bipolar disorder though I have never had a psychotic episode. I feel for you. I know how hard it was on my husband all those years I was unmedicated. It still is a challenge but I believe there is hope. Even more room for improvement.

Gizmo is right, go down to the supporter section as there are some helpful people there.

Wishes you the best.

Thanks. I will go there. Which of the supporter forums would be best the best place for me for me to start? Everything is new to me.

My wife's psychotic episodes start when she goes without adequate sleep for several days and then the distrust from the PTSD becomes paranoia - I have secret swiss bank accounts with all our money in them. I have kicked her out of the house and she is homeless but in a jewelry store looking at only the most expesive items.

The good news is in therapy for the PTSD. The bad news is that she has not accepted the Bi-polar diagnosis and won't sty on the meds. Thanks for caring.

Go to supporter general discussion and create a thread about what kind of help you are looking for. I know this place is big and overwhelmning. Take your time learning your way around.

You could also read supportiers trauma diaries for some idea of what others have gone through. I hope this helps.

Hi 70Times7 and welcome - belatedly. Your wife sounds an awful lot like my mum. She has Bi Polar, and a lot of what you have said rings big bells for me.

The Supporters' sections will be a huge help for you I'm sure - you might have done this already, but just say Hi for now and give a bit of an introduction. There will be lots of people to welcome you and offer help and support. There are lots of treads about sufferers who "withdraw" and seek solitude.

Reducing your wife's income, in my opinion, is the best thing you could have done. She will not understand it now, but if she accepts the diagnosis and then comes out of the "manic" episode she will see why you have done it. The last thing you need is to be saddled with a huge great debt on top of everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back