• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Will Va Give Combat Ptsd Marriage Counseling Or Personal Counseling To Wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loyaltojesus

New Here
My husband has been in PTSD treatment for over 3 years. He med boarded over a year ago. He did months of therapy and its now reduced to once a month group sessions. He is having some sort of relapse or flare up. I desperately need counseling and I want marraige counseling as well. I also need to ask about his meds. He refuses to tell his doc his meds arent working anymore. Even if he doesnt go and I get the counseling alone, I just need help right now. When he was active duty it was really easy to get help. Now we live an hour away from any post, and only have the VA here. Are there any resources for a wife of a disabled retired combat PTSD sufferer's wife???? Can I request that he sees a counselor or that I can come with him? Or get my own counselor?

Hi

You will not be able to force him to see anybody, it will have to be his choice. You can gently suggest he has his meds checked and see if there is anything else out there for him, but if he refuses, there is very little you can do.

For yourself then that is different, you can choose to see someone for help yourself. If you are feeling so bad about things, it may be a good idea for your own health.

Hi,

I received marriage counseling through the VA in conjunction with my PTSD program, at my PTSD team's suggestion. It worked out well for us. At one point, when I was rated 100% but not yet eligible for Tricare, my wife was entitled to VA care through the program that replaced ChampVA. Once I became eligible for Tricare, my wife automatically came under Tricare for Life and receives care in the local community paid for by Medicare and Tricare.

At my VA (Detroit) there is a patient health center that would be able to answer your questions. Otherwise, you could ask the VA service rep that handled your husband's claim. In addition, the VA rules are on the VA home page along with an assortment of links for both veterans and supporters.

Ted

Ted, thank you SOOOOO much. I will go to the website and look.

Also, I have been talking to him about his meds. I may be able to convince him to mention it to his doctor.

HI,
Have you looked in to the VA's caregiver program? try googling that it wont let me post a link since im a new member, sorry!
I just found out about it myself and sent in my application. I received more paperwork and phone call from their local office in about a weeks time. They offer a lot of support and information. I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back