• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Work Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't quite sure which heading to post this under, but I've had long standing issues with working and I was wondering if anybody had had similar experiences.

I'm currently working part time at a restraunt, washing dishes. I have a really strong urge to quit based on anxiety I experience when I am not working. This has happened with other jobs before, and I have ended up quitting in the past.

Long story short is that I have much less anxiey over working when I first start a job, and anxiety builds up the longer I work there. Put simply jobs get harder for me the longer I'm there. I never get used to it, and get less and less comfortable with work as time goes on. Everyone says it's easier as you get used to it, but I have never experienced that.

Is there anything u can do while or before this happens to reduce the anxiety? Is something there or the type of work triggering it? On ur way to work try grounding and breathing techniques. Also say positive affirmations outloud about urself. "I'm gna be the best me today at my job that I can. I'm a great employee" something like that for example. Saying it aloud validates it. Makes it real. Those are a few of my suggestions. Its hard to do alot under high stress and anxiety. Find something that works for u to stay centered. Good luck!

For me being still and alone makes things worse. Keeping my mind and body active helps tremendously. Can you listen to music or something while you do the dishes and do something go move around some?

The getting easier part is usually related to the responsibilities becoming automatic, and friendships/acquaintances/working-relationships made with other employees.

If the job itself becoming easier is giving your mind more time to think of other things, &/or relationships are difficult for you? I can easily see how either or both would make a job harder for you. Less distracting + more connection = no?

There is music going in the kitchen, but I have no control over it. Also I can only move around as much as my job duties let me. Things move pretty fast, and I cant be away from my work station for very long.

I'm kind of starting to get comfortable with at least one or two of the people. I'm not really forming friendships very well there. Some of them make immature jokes, some of which are making fun of suicide, and I have a number of friends,and a relitive who have attempted suicide in the past. Jokes like that are kind of off putting to me. Not to mention that even the one(s?) I'm starting to get along with constantly make gay jokes.

I'm getting confident with my duties there, but more keep being added. And on a side note, if they got a surprise safety inspection right now from osha, they would not pass. I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back