• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Emerg Services Working With Civilians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacieamy

Learning
I work for AAFES at an Air Force BX. It's generally helpful because I don't usually have to deal with the stupid shit that civilians think is important.
Lately, though, I seem to be attracting the attention of dependents who want to push my buttons. They're acting borderline abusive and expect me to stand there and take it just because they're paying customers. And, of course, management coddle them and acts like they'very been wronged, so it encourages the behavior and undermines anything that I do or say.
This is resulting in me having strong urges to take out my anger on these people's faces. I leave for 11 days of leave in 6 days. But, when my mental health providers ask if I want to harm others, I wonder if this is what they mean.

Have you tried picking the least annoying thing about them / something you can work with, and focus on those aspects?

Is the management in agreement about this, would it be possible to find someone who doesn't hold the same stance as your support, even if it's 'just' one person?

My co-workers are in agreement that the customer behavior is uncalled for, but management won't talk to them, even when they're right there when it happens.

Okay so the other direction, someone you can always influence - you - what helps you in dealing with buttons pushed?

What kind of self care do you need so you handle that situation both then and afterwards even when the bullshit keeps piling up?

The best aid that I have is my ESA. I requested the accommodation of having him at work with me. They refused and cited bullshit reasons. My impression was that they didn't want me bringing him because they can't imagine how it would work.
I would love to go further with it, but I don't know how or where.

The best aid that I have is my ESA. I requested the accommodation of having him at work with me. T...

ESAs do not have public access rights except in some narrow situations like flying. So, your employer is within his legal rights to refuse.

That said, ask these questions:
1. How is the dog around others? Any aggression? Overly friendly? Just a good dog?
2. Is he trained in basic obedience? (Come, sit, down, stay, off, wait, potty trained) you might want to check into Canine Good Citizen testing through the AKC. There's a level of success to the basic obedience for him to pass.
3. Will he ignore food and other things in your store?
4. Can he be trained in a task that helps you? "Only" emotional support doesn't count legally.
5. There are things like going under a table on command that will also be helpful

You dont want to pass an untrained dog as a service animal. It causes problems for everyone, including you.
The certify your dog as a service dog sites are shams.

You can train your own dog. No need to go through a program. There are quite a few good books that can help you train the dog successfully.
Rick and Heather Dillender wrote one: PTSD and Service Dogs: A Trainjng Guide for Suffers.
I know a few people who used this book successfully,

ESAs do not have public access rights except in some narrow situations like flying. So, your employer is within h...

I know the laws, but they stated that the area where I normally work is too small. It's BS, because he accompanies me to my classes everyday and is never in the way.
I have been working with him for the two years that I have had him. He behaves in public as a service dog would.
I have been looking into having him CGC certified and will likely do it this summer.
Thank you for the book reference, though. It is a bit difficult to find information on self training a PSD.
I do believe that their refusal of my accommodation request is based entirely on ignorance, though. My University has experience with ESAs and it was fairly simple. I just had to show my letter from my mental health provider and agree to the rules.

I know the laws, but they stated that the area where I normally work is too small. It's BS, because he accompanies me...
That's good to hear. A lot of people don't know the difference between the two. Getting the CGC is a great idea. Just don't waste money on the internet kits and registrations. You don't need them.
I know a couple of vets who trained their own PTSD dogs.
If you request him present at work as a service dog, your employer can't refuse in that setting.

I hope things work out for you. It sucks when you already have problems and your employers heaps more on you

I was in a similar situation but I wear a hat indicating my service, I rarely got complaints but when I did 99% of the time it was civilian family members. If you can't wear a hat try an ID lanyard with your service branch on it. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back