• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Worried About Moving To New Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

HealingAway

New Here
Hello all,

I was recently diagnosed with PTSD, 2 years after my trauma. I've been doing my best to cope, but it's been very difficult, especially because I am still so early in healing.

I'm set to go to another state for a 3 month, full-time internship. I dissociate a lot and new places, faces for some reason terrifies me, overwhelms me, and makes me feel like I am on another planet, and not in a good way. I'm terrified to leave a place that is so familiar, and yet so eager to leave a place that is a constant reminder of my trauma. Do you guys have any advice on coping tools I can use while there, particularly in coping to a new place and learning to feel safe in an unfamiliar environment? I will have no support system as all my family will be a 9 hour flight away, and I am quite frankly very very nervous.

I moved 625 miles away from where my many of my traumas happened and I feel such relief. I'd advise you to be safe, try not to be out after dark, get a chain for your door, so that it is locked from the inside as well as the outside. Take the usual precautions, like looking behind you every so often to be sure you are not being followed by a stranger or something.

Try to make one close aquaintance where your internship is, like maybe the person assigned to you to help you get oriented for instance. Then confide in that person if you feel something or someone is reasonably and logically unsafe or is troubling you unnecessarily.

If you pray, ask God to help you get settled in a safe. And good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back