• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Worried About Posting Too Much Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think of this site as a self help tool. Much like books, therapy or anything else that would help, so posting here doesn't bother me. I could care less who reads what I've written here, I have PTSD and if it helps then that's all that matters.

Nah. Why would my therapist care what I post? I mentioned this site and he said that it great I f...
Wow, I think you've missed the point here.. I want to able to utilise this site as a supportive place that I can feel able to reach out to. But I guess I just wanted to ensure my anonymity in it all. Yes I control postings but sometimes on later reflection, like I said, I worry it was too much. And my T was merely an example. The point was about having your info publicly available to anyone and everyone, be that in my present life or from my past. Yes paranoia gets the better of me at times, I believe that's a balancing act relevant to symptom management. It would kinda be like saying, if you don't want to talk in therapy don't. But I think we know it's way deeper than that and that fear and hypervigilance play a huge part. As I said I initiated this thread to rationalise my thinking on this. And I already stated that I got a good reality check from the responses to be able to weigh this up better. A lot of ppl join the site and at first are too overwhelmed to reveal things. Little by little I'm trying to feel more trustful whilst also holding onto some level of caution as a defense mechanism.

Do you ever worry about giving too much detail / info online? Sometimes I'm paranoid that my T could rea...
All the same stuff went through my head as I signed up yesterday. At first I had the town I lived in and my entire birthdate on there, I thought it was just for admin. and when I saw it appear and tried to take it off it stayed for about ten more minutes. while I panicked. All of the possible scenarios of people I dont want to see that recognizing me went through my head. Now that its off and I dont feel vulnerable, those same scenarios seem ridiculous. Put it this way, if I had put everything including my whole real name on there hoping my T, my ex husband, and my brother saw it....I think I'd be wasting my time. After living in UK villages myself, as an American I can validate your paranoia a little. People you never see and dont know in your village can manage to tell the person next door the business of everyone on their road. Its all those sheer or lace curtains that they're endlessly peeking out of. Thats one thing I sure dont miss!

I don't really care about forum anonymity.... never have, never will. Heather is my real name. The threads I've written/started all contain names of actual people in my life. I'm not worried about what I write because it is the TRUTH.

Too bad 'outing your abuser' thread no longer exists..... there's a few more people i'd like to add.

Nah. Why would my therapist care what I post? I mentioned this site and he said that it great I f...

I don't think @GWhizz is being paranoid, just concerned about privacy. (But that's just my view and I won't speak for her.)

I honestly find this sort of attitude toward paranoia a little disturbing as I am someone who indeed has paranoia issues that I mention often. It's a daily fight against my paranoia. If I just said "oh, I'm paranoid so I won't post"-----that does nothing for healing, does it? I (and everyone else who is paranoid) deserves to be here to work on healing, so no, it's not as easy as simply not posting. Avoidance gets you nowhere. Paranoia is very much indeed a symptom that stems from trauma, related to hypervigilance. Paranoia can literally be hell at times, crippling one from even doing the most basic of things and isolating one from everyone else.

Thanks @EveHarrington yes paranoia is something I very much struggle with in many aspects of life. I fear going to therapy and sometimes even just outside in case my abusers find out and come back for me, but I can't let that irrational fear hold me victim forever.

It's not about people not giving a rats who knows what because they don't give a damn who knows or what they think etc. It's about being able to find a level of security that's right for you, but in a balanced rational form. I'm not about to give out my social security number or address though I do want to be able to talk about the real difficulties I face in my day-to-day simple old life as a lay person. I'm not even looking to tell a story because I don't believe the details really matter for now. It matters that I can reach out and seek support to get through just one more day/hour/minute when I really need it. For me I don't even care about my truth for now. I'm still just trying to continue surviving and not allowing the words that they instilled in me (ie. my paranoia, albeit unreal but justifiably convincing to my brainwashed child part) get the better of me.

but Ireland is a small place
Well... if you call 4.6 million residents small, then I guess so. I would learn towards paranoid myself. I still get paranoid about things locally, like people following me or such, and have to remind myself that it is me, not them.

A therapist could read here, and honestly, I think they would walk away with a big list of possibilities for any given person being their client, as many things here replicate themselves by people, and you can mask your location by using a VPN with ease.

I also get paranoia. Its hard for me to know whats rational fear and non-rational because they interwine so much.

Like my non-rational fears peak at their highest when rational fear is present (walking out to my car after work in the middle of the night).

It certianly takes a toll here but i keep dipping down into my rational mind and actively trying to sort them into mental piles of rational and not rational. Thats helping a bit to seperate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back