• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Wow - Have You Seen This: Ad Has Secret Anti-abuse Message Only Kids Can See

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

p-no

Just now, a friend on facebook shared this:

http://gizmodo.com/this-ad-has-a-se...source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

It really brings tears to my eyes. Not because of the poster/ad, but because somebody did some serious thinking and found a way to communicate with a child like me while their abuser is right beside them.

I feel grateful and hope this helps children and that they will see that there are people out there who DO care.

Yeah, that was pretty emotional for me too. When I was in younger and still living with my parents my father often took me to department stores and once, when I went into the dressing room, I was stopped by a women who worked for child protective services. She didn't see any abuse but she could just tell that something was off, so she gave me her card. I never called but it meant a lot to me to know that I wasn't crazy.

We have nearly nothing like this in Germany! By "this", I mean just any type of advertising children's rights with regard to abuse. We do have flyers and some organizations that do work in that field, but if you don't go there, you don't get a hold of those flyers.

There is one organization (the one most well-known but that doesn't mean it's known by many) who does ads but they depend on donations and child abuse is still so much of an taboo here; I just know that Canada is such a lot more advanced. They (the German organization) did a tv spot, but due to lack of funding, it would run only late at night...

I can hardly watch the video that is linked here. It's as if finally someone cares. There were so many who were there but didn't.

I hope it can bring you some healing.

Thank you, Abstract.

they couldn't help me because I was too old

I am sorry about that, Rosalia. Not getting any help means not getting any help, no matter what the alleged reasons... :(

I told them that I needed to get out from my mother's and they at first said I wouldn't know how bad living in children's home would be. I said it couldn't possibly be worse than here (at my mother's) and that I knew what I was asking and that I was willing to go anyway. The lady seemed helpless and only then came up with the question, as if she were pulling a bunny out of a hat. She sounded very relieved she'd come up with it and I heard a relieved sigh when she heard my age. Obviously parents (adults) could put children into children's homes, but a child calling for help to be taken away was not really on their radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back