1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Xanax (As Needed) Prior To Known Trigger

Discussion in 'Medications & Substances' started by ruddy, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruddy

ruddy Active Member

Has anyone on the forum tried taking xanax (alprazolam) on an as needed basis to avert or lessen panic attacks? Did it work? How long before it took effect? Side affects? Most of the information I've seen is related to a continuous regiment. A continuous regiment of meds is not recommended in my case. The only trigger that causes debilitating panic attacks is having dental work done. It's been suggested that I take a "chill pill" before dental appointments. I'm guessing that if I do that, I probably shouldn't drive. That creates another problem.

I generally don't like taking meds. I'd learned some relaxation techniques that enabled me to stop shaking and gagging enough to let the dentist do his work. I leaked tears the whole time (embarrassing, but oh well). During my last appointment a well meaning assistant tried to comfort me putting her hand on my shoulder. In doing so, she inadvertently touched my neck and set off my flight response. I bolted off the chair and out the door wearing the metal chain and paper napkin (without my keys, purse, and coat). Looking back I find humor in that story, in spite of the fact that I was pretty sick with anxiety for the next two days. I must be warped.

Perhaps I should skip the meds and just take a couple shots of whiskey instead?:eek:ccasion: just kidding

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Seeking_Nirvana

Seeking_Nirvana I'm a VIP

I have taken Xanax and it works within 20 minutes. If the dose is low the side effects will hardly be noticeable. I suspect drowsiness, dizziness, delayed response, and a little spacey.
    It worked for me.

Peace
    Tammy

4. ruddy

ruddy Active Member

Thanks Tammy!
    That helps relieve some of the anxiety about taking the anti-anxiety med.
    Best regards, Red

5. vst

vst Active Member

I take Xanax for certain dental procedures, flying and a few times when my panic attacks were not allowing me to do something I really needed to do. One minute I am thinking the worst and when the Xanax hits all is okay with the world.

One thing I learned the hard way is do not eat any grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice before taking Xanax. I forgot one time and ate some grapefruit two hours before taking the Xanax. I was about as goofy as I could be.

vst

6. ruddy

ruddy Active Member

vst,

Thanks for the warning. I thought grapefruit minimized the effectiveness of most meds. At any rate, sounds like it's better off to avoid it. I don't think that warning is on the paperwork I got with the script.

Red

7. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

I think any dentist worth his or her weight in Spam would give you a script for a few Xanax to get you through the visit, if he or she were compassionate and liked his or her fingers intact and the carpeting dry. Then call around to Walmart, Target, and the grocery stores if it's cheaper to buy that script without your insurance, and if it's cheaper than Walmart's four-dollar deal.

8. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Ruddy

I've been using Xanax for years and it is my life saver. I use the $4 generic from Walmart and have only the usual side effects. I could not function without it for my attacks.

I find your response to the dentist very interesting since I have the same intense fear myself. My gag reflex is awful and most of the time I FAINT! All this along with the trembling and tears pouring down my face. I truly thought I was the only person with such a strong aversion to the dentist.

When I was a kid our dentist actually lived across the street from our house AUGH!!

Pills are not such a bad thing REALLY they aren't!

9. ruddy

ruddy Active Member

I have a script from my family doctor. Fortunately, I have good medical and prescription coverage. I just generally don't like to take meds of any kind. It's a decision that I weigh carefully. I guess that's why I asked for your input. I really appreciate the feedback.

Herc, I also thought I was the only one with the dental anxiety attacks. I had one therapist tell me that he didn't think it could be related to my trauma. After all, why would being choked and gagged until I passed out make me fearful of having someone put hands and things in my mouth? Why would that be a trigger? DUH - fired that therapist.

And if the therapists are clueless, how can we expect the dentists to be any more enlightened. The attitude seems to be - well, lots of people don't like to go to the dentist. I'd like to go back to the dentist I went to before I moved, but it's a 70 mile drive. He ignored my tears (at my request) and somehow that made it easier.

AngelkeeperJ/AKJ likes this.
  10. FlyLadyFan

FlyLadyFan Member

I take benzo's on an as-needed basis. Sometimes I get into a string of days where I need them, but then I try to back off asap to prevent addiction (again).

I always take them before facing a known trigger. It usually prevents an all-out panic but not the decompensation and retreat later.

Just my 2 cents.

FLF

11. nie

nie Wishing for wings to fly. Premium Member Donated

I take Xanax as needed for panic and anxiety attacks. It usually takes about 10 minutes for it to start taking effect for me. There have been times when it has really been a life saver. I try to not use is unless I really cannot breathe my way through the attack, as I don't want to become dependent.

12. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Ditto on the above statement. After a year and a half weaning from the addiction a relapse is not something I want. But I do and will take them in the do or die moments. If it is a dental thing as also said any dentist worth anything and knows you have a phobia or what not of it would give you the scripts. Just be careful of any drug mixes. Many dentists will even knock you out for it. Once I go back I will be in the knocked out category. Valium drip seemed to work well for me, I don't remember much of it at all but I was told I swore so bad when "under" I would embarrass a drunk sailor.

13. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

I am getting a visual...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

User search cloud:

1. xanax before dental procedure

2. alprazolam for dental work

3. should i take my xanax before dental work

4. how much time before stressful event to take xanax? ,
  5. medical procedure anxiety xanax,
  6. how long should you take xanax before procedure,