• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Yay, No Startle Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

aut555

Policy Enforcement
Omg, l have lost the startle thingamagig. I don't hyperventilate either. When before anything seem to set this off, now it's become a "past" thing. Has anybody had success in this area? Does this mean l am winning ptsd lottery of things do improve?

Sounds like you have got the moderator function working.

This is defined as the front brain (ego) capability to measure external environments and match them to internal reactions. It is a practice thing, gradually intervening when the panic trigger goes off and then one day the unconscious affect is smaller than your ability to moderate, instead of it being a tsunami. Once you have established that 'critical mass' you should take careful note of your mind space and record it so you can use it consistently.

it most definitely indicates progress

Sounds like you have got the moderator function working.

This is defined as the front brain...
Can you put this in simple terms? Is there actually something I can do to reduce/eliminate the startle effect? My problems started after a car accident in 1999. Many of the ptsd symptoms diminished (like the nightmares); but I was retraumatized by 2 more car accidents and legal abuse. I have never lost the startle reflex. It is not a daily thing. Sometimes worse than others. Seems like it happens most when it is quiet and I am not paying attention and then there is a loud noise. Whoa!!!!!! Scary. Even when I realize what caused the noise and there is no danger it takes a bit to calm down. When it first started after the car accident, my son would laugh when he saw this. I thought that was particularly cruel. The phone ringing was often a trigger.

I have other problems with phones; can't understand what people speak over a phone, cannot get them to cooperate by speaking more slowly and clearly. Would often end up screaming at people and then hanging up in frustration at what was happening to me. Now avoid phones like the plague.

I am not aware of any thing I can do to make things better. One of the biggest causes of my ptsd and related problems was the T. I know no one will believe this. But it is the truth. She flat out told me she wanted me to engage in sex with her (I am female) and even described an object she wanted us to use. She threatened to put false info in my medical files if I did not agree. There is every indication she has put false info in my files. I do not know if she is truly lesbian. She may have done this to purposely traumatize me and take focus off bad drugs doc gave me (doc referred me to this horrible person).

When I requested my files from T, she claimed they were lost. I filed a complaint and they let her off. I thought it was a big "no-no" to "lose" a patient's files. She is now retired. She lied to me and said she agreed I had ptsd, but was "calling it something else" so insurance would cover enough sessions. Apparently she backed up dr's false diagnosis of "depression". I have not been able to find a way to fight any of this and get records corrected.

Does anyone know how to get records corrected years later? If you are denied access to false records, what do you do??? I do have a diagnosis of ptsd now and there is reference in documents that it goes back to the car accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back