• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

You Know You Have PTSD When...

ghost

Confident
You know you have PTSD when...

1. ...you have more emergency helpline numbers in your phonebook than friends,

2. ...you consider Born on the Fourth of July a 'feel good movie',

3. ...you see your psychiatrist, your psychologist and your GP more than you see your family,

4. ...you can remember the name of every soldier in your regiment from 1967, but you can't remember the name of your only grandchild,

5. ...your bestfriend is the psych nurse who hasn't dislocated your shoulder,

6. ...you avoid seeing your friends because you think that they think you're paranoid

7. ...the last time someone climbed into bed with you, they were promptly sedated and taken back to their own ward.

8. ...you spent last year's Australia Day firework celebrations trying to recover the rest of your platoon.

9. ...you wake up at 2am and are thankful that you've finally had a good nights sleep, and

10. ...you're the only one at your ten year highschool reunion with gray hair and a pension.

6. ...you avoid seeing your friends because you think that they think you're paranoid

Ha ha! That is so true (for me at least)!

8. ...you spent last year's Australia Day firework celebrations trying to recover the rest of your platoon.

ROTFL That one is hilarious!

10. ...you're the only one at your ten year highschool reunion with gray hair and a pension.

I'm pretty sure ^ will be me one day.

What a great thread!

Mina: "a dark closet is literally an acceptable place to spend time or sleep." Yes! I used to joke that I was AKA Gollum...loved dark places and yes, I can admit it now...actually did spend time at Dylan's Closet Inn a few times. A wonderful little B&B. Very Cozy. :wink:

Ghost: "you wake up at 2am and are thankful that you've finally had a good nights sleep" Laughed out loud at this one...really relate.

Here're my 2 or 3 cents:

.....you have entire bookcases of books on a single topic, have spent much of your life, money and energy researching a field of study, and you are not a research scientist.

.....while driving, you know the position of every car around you without ever looking in the mirrors.

.....at a party, you've all had 6-7 drinks; everyone else is trashed, and you're just starting to feel normal.

-you pack your bags to go to the psych hospital more often than you pack to go on vacation
-going grocery shopping is considered an adventure
-if you average 15 hours of sleep a WEEK, you think you're doing pretty well
-your significant other wears their old high school football gear to climb in bed with you, just in case you have another night terror
-You have total familiarity with the concept that your mind exists separately from your body, and who knows where your emotions have gone, or the other way around.
-You play with dolls and stuffed animals to recreate the childhood that got corrupted by your past which you cannot let go of, and which continues to corrupt your play.
-You stop to think and then forget to start again.
-"Triggers", "Flashbacks", "Survivors", "Perps" and "Therps" have become the predominate words in your vocabulary
-Your main purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.
-You use self help books as walls and dividers and room partitions. You also use "The Courage To Heal" as a paper weight.
-Your therapist is on speed dial, but you also know her number by heart
-Most of your best friends are people from online

Back