• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

You Know You Have PTSD When...

-anyone trying to wake you up does so with a big stick and runs like hell.

this one is sooo true for me!

LOL - I have to admit, that one actually caused me to laugh out loud. My ex-husband got so tired of being swung at when he would try to wake me up that he started to send our young child into our bedroom to wake me up, knowing I would never swing at him. To be honest, I never associated the difficulty with waking me up with my PTSD. I always explained it away as "being too tired" and "not wanting to wake up since I'd finally gotten to sleep", but I will admit there was that initial panic when someone was waking me up.

Freddy Kruger is so damn funny

When standing infront of a crowded elevator you turn around and day "So I bet your all wondering why I gathered you here today"

Your dog acts more sane than you do

Your best friend has given up trying to stop you from doing crazy cus it just don't work

You dumped your last boyfriend by telling him that you would rather go f*censored* an outhouse

While fishing you sing at the top of your lungs and everyone moves off the dock but you

Can't find you phone in the morning and tear your place apart only to hear your text tone "I saw a squirrel it was going like this" ringing out from your freezer

You start a 200+ post on facebook about how squirrels are going to burn down the pentagon and the pidgins are helping them

Your friends call you the special one

You have ever yelled out "mayonnaise hit my boob!" and everyone thinks it's normal.

When you can't rationalize or reason why you are still awake...

When you are still awake and have not gone to sleep...

When you are here writing how you have not been able to fall asleep...

When all you can here are siren sounds and you can't distinguish whether it's really happening or it's in your head...

When you can hear the birds chirping outside and you are deeply bothered because you have not slept...

When I have ran out of things to say

When your true fears are faced and real and you can't stop reliving your traumas...

...when your pharmacist calls to remind you it's time to refill your medication.

...you live in an apartment and are awakened by the noise from a neighbor's apartment, but you grab your baseball bat automatically.

...you wake up and have to search the entire the apartment because you just know someone is in there.

...or, you have ever woken your spouse up, insisting someone is in the house and made them search the house.

...you still sleep with a nightlight.

...your friends know not to come up behind you without announcing they are there because they know what "jumping out of your skin" means from having witnessed you do it.

...when your friends do come up behind you, forgetting on occasion to announce themselves, quickly remember before going deaf from the scream you put out.

...when you cannot sleep without your back facing the wall, any part of you uncovered, or without laying there for hours with your eyes wide open, staring into every dark crevice looking for any movement, listening for sound.

When your best friend is on the other side of the country and 90% of your friendship has been spent on IM, 5% on the phone or Skype, and 5% in person.

When your greatest relationship is with a guy you've never met, and you prefer it that way, and he understands you better than anyone you've ever met because he has PTSD, too.

When you avoid looking into your own eyes in the mirror because they look just like your mother's and you will trigger yourself.

When you spend the majority of your time in silence.

When you really need to go to the store for groceries but it takes you 3 hours to convince yourself that you really should go so that you can eat because you've realized you haven't eaten in 3 days.

When your ex-spouse knew when you went to restaurants where you had to sit in order to feel safe.

When you have lived in a new state for 13 years and have not made a single friend in that state, so that all of your friends are long-distance.

When you can go years without talking with someone and consider that person to be your best friend, though when you do finally call them, you discover their number has changed, they've moved, and you have no idea where they are any more, or how to get in touch with them.

Or you do get in touch with them, and they say, "Who is this?"

Or you get in touch with them and find out that not only did they have 3 children since the last time you spoke with them, they are celebrating the birth of their 4th grandchild.

When your idea of a good time is to rent a movie from pay per view and sit home alone.

When your family comes home while you're sitting alone in the house. And you don't hear the car pull in. So when you hear the car door slam you not only jump your arms jerk a little and you shake for a second.

Back