• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

You Know You Have PTSD When...

When you're sitting in a recliner watching tv and out of the corner of your eye you see a spider run along the arm of the chair and you scream and jump up flying out of the chair like it's on fire.

When it's been raining and thundering and lightening for the past half hour and it gets quiet for a couple of minutes and suddenly there's a loud clap of thunder and you ball up your fists fold up your arms and shake for a second as though you had no idea it's been storming.

I think my poor system is on really high alert today :oops:.

When the noise of post coming through your door makes you jump, arms to your face as if silencing a potential scream, and you say aloud "Oh my God! ... Oh, thank God, it's just the post". Really, I'm not sure what my body thinks I'm expecting to come through the door that I get startled so badly. I had to laugh at myself and have been doing so more often, because the frights I get are sometimes too often not to.

Another good one is when I'm staring into space with my eyes glazed over away in a memory or complicated stream of thought when my partner tries to ask me something, which leads to my heart jumping in my throat and me having to exhale very slowly. Thankfully he knows I have PTSD. Who knows what my frights look like to people who don't know me, probably pretty funny :D:eek::facepalm:, it's good to know I might give brief moments of laughter to people simply by existing and being sensitive to noises or unexpected things of that nature.

You know you have PTSD when:

People are asking you,"Can you tell me where you are, how old are you and what can you see?" and you are nowhere near a drs surgery...

When you can't go anywhere unless you know exactly how many people will be there, who they all are and you are able to track their movements..

You find yourself refusing to go into a restaurant because the only "safe" spot is taken.

Your family are now aware that if your hands are shaking and your eyes are darting it is time to go somewhere quiet while they tell you to breathe and that you are safe..

When your PTSD Service Dog jumps every time fireworks go off and you grumble to yourself that it is that durned time of year again here in the USA, Independance Day (July 4th). And you lament as well that you will NOT be able to attend the fireworks, as you do not want to go ANYWHERE without her!

...You really did go through trauma, of course you did. Well, maybe you didn't - maybe you are making it all up...no you did. You've had a horrible time of it. Oh shut up, you drama queen. People have had it worse than you! But...maybe you did go through trauma, but you're making it out to be worse than it really was. No, you did go through trauma, and it was bad...

Etc.

When you watch 'Inception' on DVD (I know it came out ages ago!) and you think I thought everyone said it's confusing? What's not to understand? Tertiary levels of consciousness...check. Sub conscious intrusion....check. Varying perceptions of time....check. Using a physical object to re-orientate yourself to reality....check. The allure of dissociative states in preference to reality....check.

:confused:

Back