• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

‘feeling empty’ = related to ptsd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.

My so suffers from PTSD, so I just wanted to quickly ask: he often say stuff like ‘I feel like something is missing’ ‘I feel empty’ ‘I feel like there’s something that is missing and can fix my sadness’

It’s almost like he’s constantly on the search of something that ‘fulfills him’ or ‘completes him’ and gives him all that happiness.

Can this be related to PTSD? Does any PTSD sufferers relate to feelinf like this?

Thanks for all help. I have so many questions in my head and I find it so great that I can post on here and gain some insight x

It can be. I know that therapist tend to go on high alert when they here this because it is common with Borderline personality disorder. I have had a couple of bouts with it, but it was determined to be related to physical symptoms or med reactions. The moment I mention it though they start evaluating for BPD. BPD and PTSD can co exist especially if there is childhood trauma. BPD is more treatable than PTSD too from what I hear. Of course it could not be BPD and I am absolutely not saying he has it. Only a professional can evaluate him for it.

@Fadeaway thats interesting. Thanks for your input. He isn’t on any medication. He definately has some childhood trauma.. and has always had anxiety and bouts of depressive symptoms. Always says ‘I feel so empty’ ‘I feel like something is missing.

@Zoogal yes; Diane England -
The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Relationship: How to Support Your Partner and Keep Your Relationship Healthy

Yes. My wife says that too.

Have a good look on the forums for "dissociation". As far as I can understand it, she often shuts down her emotions, memories and thoughts. She feels numb. When panicking she "goes somewhere else" in her mind, like a bubble, rather than feeling everything like maybe you or I would. Because feeling the trauma would be too much. Too overwhelming. This may be the empty feeling your boyf is feeling.

With treatment, he will find ways to process his feelings without being overwhelmed, and the empty and numb feelings will reduce.

Take care

yepper! yet another fun filled facet of ptsd. You look at life around you and think...meh. You look at what you've done with your life and think..meh. You do risky shit to raise your adrenaline and think...meh. Basically -- meh. And you think - there has to be something out there I'm missing

It happens to me when I get overwhelmed and don't want to deal with what I'm really feeling. Yep 3 years of therapy to figure that out and I still can't stop it! But at least I know I'm doing it now.....

Empty/ lonely/tribeless. Feels very where I have been and still feel a lot of the time .

I would say this is getting better ; funnily enough for me a big improvement seems to have been removing less authentic friendships, maintaining distance from triggering relationships and cutting social media use.

Yes. For me It has felt like a very big part of who I once was is now missing. Part of my psyche is gone and that gives me a feeling of loss and emptiness. Sometimes I don't know who or what I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back