News 2021 Australian of the Year: Grace Tame, sexual assault victim advocate

Sideways

Sponsor
This young heroine inspired a movement that changed things for so many victims.

I'm not a Tasmanian, but when she firs came forward with her story about being silenced about her abuse? I became aware that if court proceedings did ever go ahead in my case? Identical legislation would silence me in exactly the same way about my story, yet the perpetrator would be permitted to continue to use media platforms to protest their innocence, and shame the victim.

The case was outrageous. The courage of Grace Tame, who did not have an easy ride through her recovery journey at all, is truly inspiring. She has also inspired legislative change that would now allow me to speak my story publicly if I wanted to. Which is so incredibly important.

Silencing victims of child sex abuse perpetuates the shame the victims live through, and allows csa to proliferate. Tame's new laws make such an important change in attitude.

Thanks @ms spock for this article. This young lady has shown a mountain of courage, given a voice to so many of us, and simultaneously brought appropriate shame on Arndt for her disgusting and persistent portrayal and defence of Tame's abuser. What an extraordinary achievement.

ms spock

Sponsor
Thanks @ms spock for this article. This young lady has shown a mountain of courage, given a voice to so many of us, and simultaneously brought appropriate shame on Arndt for her disgusting and persistent portrayal and defence of Tame's abuser. What an extraordinary achievement.
It is indeed an extraordinary achievement. To seek her own healing and also to stand up for so many people.

ms spock

Sponsor
More information here:

Dr Miriam-Rose Ungunmerr Baumann is an amazing Aunty. She gifted Australia with the Spirit of the Dadirri.