1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

24/7 peer support for paramedics

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by shimmerz, Jan 29, 2018.

1. shimmerz

shimmerz My silence spoke a thousand words you never heard Premium Member

leehalf, Abstract and scout86 like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Freida

Freida Been There, Done That, Lived to Tell the Story Premium Member

We started this in dispatch a couple years ago and YES!! It's a great option between just bitching to a co-worker and doing a full on debrief with the dispatch shrink. I think this is the group we used Home for our training. It was a three day class that taught how to do peer support and also how to structure a team, confidentially, choosing team members, blah blah

It has been very successful because you are talking to people who do the same thing you do -- no more trying to explain to an outsider about calls and codes and all that. And the volunteers get enough training to be able to constructively help - not just share opinions on how it should have gone

4. brokenEMT

brokenEMT Well-Known Member

brilliant program! we have peer support, but not a dedicated huggy buggy as in the article, and it can take several days after you ask for help before you're put in touch with someone. The gradual return to work is important too, you can't just shove a returning paramedic back on car for a 96 hour tour, just because the doctor's note says they can return.

5. shimmerz

shimmerz My silence spoke a thousand words you never heard Premium Member

Great link, thank you @Freida . I had no idea that we had these programs here in Canada, @brokenEMT, thank you for letting me know.

This peer support stuff is getting some rave reviews it seems, regardless of the industry it is involved in. Apparently, in our area, there is a lawyer who is hiring 4 peer support workers as well. Thanks so much for your feedback. It is a great help. And hopefully any other workers in the paramedic/emergency lines of work will give this a read and look for one in their area as well.

Freida and leehalf like this.