• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

2D vs 3D World - What do you do in 3D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimmerz

MyPTSD Pro
I can't help but think about all the warning the staff here give people about not spending too much time on screen. At one time it was a lifesaver for me because very few people of mine in 3D actually understood WTF was happening to me and it scared them. So I lost my social circle. You guys were all so great in helping me out in that way and I thank you.

I have come to realize that I had gotten lost in my 2D computer world. Something happened in this apartment just before Christmas that had me need to paint it. OMFG. Unbelievably refreshing having to focus on painting within the lines - with colours that were pleasing - thinking through contrasts - deciding to paint furniture and working with really cool colors. Stripping. Sanding. Staining. Waxing.

If I were to be honest, it was stunning how it helped me 'get out of myself'. These days it is easy to black mirror days at a time in our society .... and I am wondering - with this CV19 thing going on - do we actually have things to entertain ourselves besides our screens?

Do you all have ideas as to how to keep yourselves amused in 3D time? If so what are they? Care to share?

Believe it or not, my job is considered "essential", so I still get to go to work. I don't know what I'd do if I had to stay inside all the time. I moved last fall and, on the days I AM home, I've been exploring the new place. I found an apparently lost and forgotten flower garden the other day that I'm now trying to resurrect. I'm with you though, DOING something. Making or fixing something. Great ways to connect with the real world when you're stuck in the house.

I'm working on a bunch of little projects around the house. I'm also staying connected to friends and family more often than I was before all the mayhem. It's been great chatting with them every day.

J is still working full-time so he hasn't had to change his routine too much. I'm trying to keep him busy on the weekends just to keep his mind off of things.

I've also been trying out new recipes and having fun experimenting in the kitchen.

Today, I'm hanging curtains in our bedroom and blinds in the kitchen.

Currently? Trying to rest & studying.

Otherwise, these days, buncha things around home to fix, redecorate, clean up and awesome home gym. That can also use redecorate.

And yep, crapton cooking & baking I need to explore. :woot:

Or: Don't have issue staying busy, or staying in one location itself, if that staying put is helpful / or wanted.

I also don't grok / subscribe to that divide. Or pretending online activities & communications are lesser in any way.

It's massively unhelpful trace of thought for me to even contemplate, and I'm quite grateful that many people came to appreciate multimodal communications as valid forms of support / work etc, instead of 'oh so you goof around all days'.

I spend a lot of time online these days. For some, it is the ONLY way to stay in touch with people and the only way to maintain some semblance of hope. I don't feel at alI "lost" in that/this world; on days when I am struggling, I really need connection with something/someone. On the better days, I am able to balance both worlds. I also write, which is an immense comfort to me, so I spend a lot of time on the computer doing a variety of things.

That said, I definitely think balance is good. I do lots of things that are very short-term - cleaning out drawers, reading, changing the sheets on the bed - but I find it nearly impossible to engage in anything that takes more than 15 minutes or so. I did go through a couple of binders last night that held copies of my memoir - that took a couple of hours. That was part of cleaning - I also tend to be very scattered when I am doing "3D" stuff. So it is helpful for me to focus online or when writing.

I think it's also really helpful to go outside, even if for 30 min - to walk, take pictures, go to the grocery, etc...

Being autisic/Aspergers, internet communicating has been a social boon for me, like a wheel chair or any other device or technology that a disabled person uses to keep up with other's or increase functionality.

Having said that, I'm having a really hard time of it, lately, and it seems to be causing me just as much angst, alienation and disequilibrium as it has helped with, in the past, so, I don't know.

I'm trying to disengage and just resign my self to my lack of social ability and enjoy very limited contact and instead, simply enjoy a rich inner life and my creativity, instead.

I do enjoy feeling that I have an outlet, but it's become very scary, confronting and I can't escape my habitual sense of being pushed to the outer edges and frequently rejected and unacceptable.

More than just about anything, I want to be living, primarily, within a natural, secluded and spacious environment, but, instead, I am cooped up and surrounded by loud and angry neighbors, so the internet, is my escape, a learning tool, my connection with the world of humans and my distraction from, the house arrest conditions (That I was under prior to this current global lockdown, already, due to my comorbid issues and a lack of supports).

I have started drawing again and writing in an art journal, though, that's fun, and I love my daily yoga routine and making delicious food to share with my teenage son and guy friend.

Getting outside more, would be awesome, though.

Oof, I'm struggling with this big time this week. I just want to hide in my 2D world, and it's started to make me anxious how much I'm scrolling. I think I'll read a physical book, I did a workout, walked around outside (happy Earth Day!!) and attempt to come back to reality. I really don't feel like it, though. I don't even feel like creating anything, which is what I live for. Ugh.

Irony.

I completed 5 weeks of home recovery just as the world went in to isolation.
When the world was instructed to "isolate", I was told I could go back to work.
At that time I became one of our few employees available for what someone considers essential deliveries.

I've spent the last four weeks driving 12,000 miles across middle and western America.
And it does not appear to be a 3-D world anymore.

In the few hours I am home I touch things - I garden or finish a project. It is wonderful to see and feel real things; to watch plants grow; or to interact with critters or family. I love walks. I love feeding birds & rabbits. So, yes, those are a few of my 3-D avenues. Much needed and appreciated.

The irony is that from my vehicle the "real" world no longer seems 3-D. Empty streets. Airports. Motels. Restaurants. Very little moves. And what does, I am supposed to avoid. It's 2-D like I see on the screen. I am confined to looking at it out of a window and it doesn't seem real. Often apocalyptic. So being out in the world right now at times gives a very uncanny view. I've taken lots of pictures. I know in my mind what the reality is, but at times the mind can wander. The 3-D world isn't completely "real" looking right now. But the 2-D world is safe and friendly and much the same as it always has been.

The irony of dealing with years of ptsd and substance abuse have taught me the dangers of isolating. And now the world has given me carte blanche to isolate. Not just suggesting I do, but telling me my life might depend on it. And my mind can revel in the abyss of isolation that this offers. I use the tools that I find available in 2-D as necessary links when some of my 3-D avenues are cutoff. No guilt there whatsoever.

So. Thank God you people are here. 2-D IS real. It's therapeutic. As with all things excess can be unhealthy. But for now, 2-D provides me a lot of sanity and comfort too.

I paint little paintings and send them to friends. Then they call me to thank me and we have a great conversation. I take walks to the drugstore and buy a beverage. I stay alert when I walk, seeing and hearing nature. I love listening to the birds the most. I call or text friends to see how they are doing. I stay in touch with my client by phone and do whatever it takes to protect her from emotional abuse. I listen to the radio and do Bible studies. Friends go shopping for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back