• All donations and upgrades are manually verified and approved within 24hrs.
  • Upgrades are ongoing. Learn how to save your bookmarked posts.

5 ways to maintain a positive attitude

Thread starter #1
Having a positive outlook is crucial to living a happy, well-balanced life. Of course, this does not mean that you will be satisfied with every single choice you make or always happy with yourself. However, it does mean that you will be able to bounce back faster from stressful situations that do bring you down. Because, inevitably, you will eventually have to pick yourself back up and see the good in life or else choose to remain in the darkness longer than necessary. These five tips will help you keep your positive spirit the majority of the time.

Watch Your Self-Talk
Your self-talk is the way you talk to yourself. All of the thoughts in your head that you may or may not voice out loud matter. Those things can help solidify what you feel when you feel negative, or they can contribute to giving your mood a boost. Whenever you catch yourself thinking that things are at their worst or thinking the worst of yourself, change your thoughts. For instance, change "this is such a bad day, and things couldn't get worse" to "tomorrow is a new day." Change "I hate the way I look" to "my hair looks nice today." Always find something positive to think about instead. Replace the negative thoughts with the positive perspective.

Be a Friend to Yourself
Who else knows you better than you know yourself? The answer is no one. You know why you feel the way you do. You know the history that made you who you are today. Use that for good and remember to be your own best friend. Whenever you need someone to talk to, and no one else is available, ask yourself what you would tell a friend in your predicament. Then say that to yourself. Chances are, you would say things that cheer the other person up or that provide hope. Tell all of that to yourself. Tell yourself that you believe in yourself.

Do Not Dwell
What is done is done. Do not dwell upon it. Thinking about all of the things you should have done or could have done better will not change a thing. The only thing to do is go forward because there is no going back. Understanding this is an important part of staying positive, and it sometimes takes a strong-willed determination to accomplish. However, refusing to dwell on the past or on things you cannot change allows you to forgive yourself more easily, and it allows the focus to be on becoming a better version of yourself if you mess up.

Speak Positively
Speaking positively is almost the same thing as watching your self-talk. However, speaking in a positive manner involves saying it outright to yourself and also to others. Let your words be positive when others are around, and they will reflect inwardly as well. Speak them out loud until they become the thoughts you automatically think to yourself. You will also become a beacon of light to others when their positive outlook is failing.

Practice Gratitude
Practicing gratitude is also a way of not dwelling on bad things. Practice being thankful for all of the things that are good in your life. It can be something small or something significant. It does not matter what blessings you count. In fact, the more things you are grateful for, the better off you will be, so count each and every one of them. When you are focusing on the things that make you glad and on the things that are not as bad as they could be, you will find it harder to be negative.

Practice one or more of these ways and watch your attitude and your life improve. All of these methods work in conjunction with each other. Once you consciously start utilizing one me method, it will likely take less effort to apply the other methods. Again, it does not mean that you will always be happy, but it does help the negative emotions disappear faster. You have nothing to lose by giving it a try, except some negativity.

Last edited:
Hi Anthony, another great article! It's easy to get snowed under by negative thought patterns but this is a great way too improve the mindset. I'm going to try and use them as I need to think like this at the moment. Thankyou. 👍

This is a really interesting one for me. I’ve spent my entire life finding something positive in every situation, being the one with the energy and good attitude in the room etc etc. Until I couldn’t anymore. What I’m slowly understanding (why thank you flashbacks!) is that I was never allowed to be “not ok” “not happy” “not pleasant”. I’d be punished for being upset or scared. My mum is a rainbows, kittens and unicorns kinda person. When I say I’m really struggling she says “I’m so glad things are going well at work”. When I said I was feeling suicidal she said “yes dear, but you’ll be right”. There is more of course but ugh. And so I never felt safe but had to pretend I did. “I’m fine, I’m fine, I’m fine” is what I’d say to my T coming out of a flashback. I had an A+++ in avoidance. I was “positive” with a complete and utter disregard for how I actually felt.

Damn. That made sense in my head so I hope it does to someone else lol

Sietz

MyPTSD Pro
It does make sense @MyWillow
Same with me "always keep being positive that everything will be alright" was possibly one of the biggest lies I believed in.
It's a gateway to denial of how crappy things are.
Now, talk to me about balance and I'm alright with it. It's good to feel good, it's okay to feel bad.
Saying we need to be positive all the time is dystopian.

Top Bottom