1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A favourite song or album and what it means to me

Discussion in 'Social' started by berlinda, Jul 13, 2018 at 10:43 PM.

1. berlinda

berlinda On the way to find out :-) Premium Member Sponsor $100+

I'm really interested to hear about favourite (or favorite :D) songs or albums of others here. For any or no reason at all.

One of mine is Pantondo Songs of Malawi :D

I first came across it courtesy of John Peel on radio 1 in the UK. For anyone who doesn't know, John Peel was kinda a national treasure for anyone who likes any kind of alternative music.

So anyway he used to play a really frickin wide variety of music. You might hear plenty of things & think god this is awful. Then hear a bit of magic.

So anyway the day I heard this song afterwards he said you can buy the tape from a Dr so and so from a hospital in Airdrie in Scotland. And I immediately wrote off, including my postal order and got a tape back in the post.

Some years later - in the post tape years, I was looking for the same music digitally. And eventually found someone selling it via Amazon. And I bought it. Very much looking forward to hearing it again. About a year later, the same Dr apologised for not having checked that email and sent me the mp3's. Very happy I was to have those songs again.

Anyhow, what's one of your fav songs or albums n why? Or what's it remind you of? :cool:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 12:12 AM
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Swift

Swift I'm a VIP

What an awesome question!
    I could probably post about 10 pages of recommendations sorted by genre but I'll stick with 2 aussie ones that aren't heaps famous.
    The first is "The Bowery" by Firekites. It's an awesome, chill, lo-fi with acoustic guitar and looping album. Was my first intro to lo-fi as a proper genre.
    Fav track is "Same Suburb, Different Park" - fav lyric 'she took to sea, in a big tin bowl that's filled with dreams.'
    Well worth a listen. Reminds me of driving past the beaches at night, winding down at the end of a long day.

Second is... Clare Bowditch and the Feeding Set. Anything, but mainly the albums "The Moon Looked On" and "The Winter I Chose Happiness"'....
    If a five-piece indie rock band with amazing songcraft and a French Horn sounds like your gig, "The Moon Looked On" is the album for you. Fav track - "When The Lights Went Down"...
    Gutsy, indie, Bowditch actually did a degree in ethnomusicology so complex, catchy and awesome.

berlinda likes this.
  4. berlinda

Ta @Swift by every means please contribute again, great to hear about music you love, think I'll try & check out things ppl mention :cool:

Swift likes this.
  5. Innordinate

Innordinate Sarcasm is a way of life

i will pretty much listen to anything except country music (there are a few country songs i dont mind though) but my
    favorite group right now, haven't heard a song that I don't like from them, is Imagine Dragons.
    Inner ninja by classified is what got me through my last hospital stays 5 years ago
    but my all time favorite song that i listen to so i can calm down and get some perspective is Little Wonders by rob thomas

Swift likes this.
  6. Swift

Swift I'm a VIP

Thanks, @berlinda .
    Careful what you wish for!!!!
    I'll do classical and easy listening, then.
    Classical:
    Debussy's Arabesque No 2 - fantastic, calm, very chill, fiddly AF but has a lovely, wistful air about it.
    Liszt's Fountains of The Villa D'Este - I dunno how you can write a piece that sounds like bubbling water, but he managed! Also - first known 'rock star' and case of women throwing their bras on stage was this guy, which I find hilarious.
    The choral Lachrymosa from Mozart's Requiem is I think, the most moving choral piece I've had the privilege to perform in, and also the greatest thing to ever come out of syphilis. Bloody amazing.
    Shostakovich's Largo in D is utterly, utterly heartbreaking. He was a Russian composer who didn't want to write for the Bolsheviks, so they kidnapped his son, and he wrote this absolute masterpiece.
    Gustav Holst's "The Planets" is a brilliant intro piece for those new to classical music. It was the first piece I remember hearing where I could connect the ideas, like, "Jupiter", with the themes in the melody. Great for kids.
    Contemporary -
    Keith Jarrett's The Koln Concert is worth a mention if you want to space out. It doesn't speak to me, particularly, but other people love it.
    George Winston is a contemporary pianist who writes really nice melodies and great arrangements. (They are also a giant pain in the arse.) His album "December" is probably his best work. "Canon in D", which he rearranged and put in C for some godforsaken reason, is lovely, and his "Carol of The Bells" is superb.
    Michael Nyman is the unsung badass of contemporary film scores.
    "River Flows In You" is amazing, but my personal fav is the concerto from the movie "The Piano." Mainly for it's amazing countermelody, but I can also write it longform as:
    Piano Concerto, "The Piano" from The Piano 1997, arr. for Piano, and if that's not redundancy I don't know what is.

berlinda likes this.
  7. Innordinate

Innordinate Sarcasm is a way of life

yes.. epic!!

Swift and berlinda like this.
  8. berlinda

I adore this ♡

Swift likes this.
  9. SpiritSong

SpiritSong myptsd.com depend$ upon YOU!!! Premium Member Sponsor $100+

Amazing Grace - My Chains Are Gone and it has a sweet memory with it, singing it at my friend Peggy's Celebration of Life with her family. We were happily sending her off to Heaven. Her suffering was over. We miss her, but we know we will see her again.

LuckiLee likes this.
  10. Mach123

Mach123 I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

My collection is a lot about abuse, I thought of that a couple years ago in terms of theme. It's a feeling though you probably wouldn't see it if you looked through the list. I like the sound and the musical quality and stuff but when I'm looking for a song, I'm looking for a feeling. My guitar teacher had a lot of favourites and legitimate reasons why, I adopted much of his taste and I will always be his student. Jimmy Page is probably my favourite musician because of him. Everything he did pretty much. He's incredible.