• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

A Question - Triggers, Panic Attacks, PTSD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenix62

New Here
I'm wondering, when the word trigger is mentioned, if PSTD always goes hand in hand with panic attacks.
I have had a few in my life, but only in extreme circumstances... my anxiety tends to be followed by agoraphobia and prostration. Immobility.
Still trying to assess how it all works.
Only in understanding can the damage be repaired.
Thank you.

phoenix62,

Thanks for your question about anxiety, panic attacks and PTSD. I'm trying to put it all together too. I get very immobilized by anxiety and can only say I too am looking for answers.

seaworthy

Not everyone when triggered, will have the same response. There is a whole lot of different things that you can go through when triggered....

But, yes, anxiety, panic, can be some of those....

Hello Phoenix and welcome

I guess for me my triggers don't always set off my panic attacks, I might just become hyper-vigilant for example, suddenly become exhausted and want to sleep or space out (dissociate). As SheCat says it's a very individual thing, plus it will change over time as you learn to cope and recover in different and more functional and helpful ways.

Nicky

Hi Phoenix

Not much I can add to your post and comments by others other than to say that when triggered, I would experience high levels of anxiety and symptoms such as hyper-arousal and vigilance.

I did have two mild panic attacks these past six years but I doubt they are PTSD or abuse related.

Hi Phoenix!

When triggered, I usually go into a state of dissociation (head gets fuzzy and I either space out or disappear) or depersonalization (where the whole world around me seems to not be real). Depending on the strength of the trigger and where I am at internally at the time will determine how dissociated I get.

As others have said, it is very individual and each person reacts different ways...

Pixie

I'll wake up sometimes either screaming or my heart is racing and I'm in a cold sweat. It's unnerving. I have nightmares and this usually occurs under stress. Then I'm tired the whole day. It sucks. I have slept almost a whole day once.

Phoenix,

I think it's very common, if not always present. For me certainly, I think this is because my body is in a constant state of stress, even when safe, so my brain feels it has to rationalise, almost justify, that stress somehow so it manifests itself in becoming anxious.

For example, I'm sometimes agoraphobic (this always strikes me as hilarious because I'm always claustrophobic so even when I want to hide in the wardrobe, I can't), even though I have no reason I can think of to be. Even when I was being abused, being out of the house was always safer than being in the house so I have no reason to be afraid of going outside. Our minds work in mysterious ways.

Love and Light,

Aine

I am not claustraphobic...but can get very panicked outside when triggered. I, too, saw outside as safety when growing up in a violent household. I think for me it is my hypervigilance at red alert and I am checking constantly for threats. Picnickers become a terrorist cell...trees or parked cars become possible ambushes...etc. and I have to figure out how to navigate through it all. I am guessing that later assaults outside pretty much made the exterior world as unsafe as the home. But living alone...my home is now safety. Thank god I am only like this when triggered. It is manageable the rest of the time.

When I get the panic/anxiety, I end up somewhat agoraphobic-I isolate. Finding that taking care of myself--eating good food and not worrying about weight--taking a nice blanket and thinking good thoughts (tho sometimes hard to find), I end up getting by. When it gets bad, I go to my pdoc and tell all.

And then, suddenly, I wake up and start living again. Realizing that I am needing more therapy again. But, believe me, PTSD gets better. And then rears its ugly head. It's very easy to let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back