• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

A thread for scientific nerdiness

I just heard an explanation of reality that was intriguing and funny.

We’re all a bunch of NPC’s living in a simulation created by God (who is something like a teenager in their basement) and when we get a feeling of intuition or “message from God” that leads us to do big important things it’s because some creature living outside the simulation has tuned in and is playing as our character. And the let down after such an experience is because the creature outside the simulation has stopped playing and we go back to being an NPC.

I want to talk about Neuralink with anyone who wants to talk about it.

My understanding…
  • A brain chip that interfaces with computers
  • Has 96 wires only micrometers thick that have a total of 3072 electrodes
  • A robot surgically implants the device and connects the electrodes to neurons
  • A person with the implant can think of what they want to say or focus on what they want to do and a computer can speak the words or move the thing
  • Information can go the other way, from the computer into the chip and therefore the brain
  • Could potentially give sight to blind
  • Plans for the future are multiple chips with up to 10,000 electrodes implanted in a mesh
Here is a link to the pub med article about what the neuralink neural implant is and how it works in rats. The first human trial was announced at the end of January this year but there has not been much information available about it.

Here is an article about neural implants in general and why they are being developed. From the article Musk says initially for people with disabilities but eventually for healthy people to *keep pace with AI*. <insert relevant emoji>