• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Absurd Ptsd about favourite hobby (coding)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just remembered that last year i asked on scratch foruns was this a big deal and they all said no. If i just had asked that back then when it first happened this would have never happened

It's just that a stupid little event from 5 years ago had and has effected me and my hobby so much over the years i still can't believe that. I can just imagine what life is like if that never happened

. I can just imagine what life is like if that never happened
What IF? Isn’t a real place. So it’s usually better to not try and go there.

What IF my son hadn’t gotten sick? He’d have been an Olympic hopeful, leading a charmed life (for at least a few years, if all went as expected) instead of the hell his life became in & out hospitals / custody battles / etc. <<< Now, I can’t speak beyond that. We were being courted by 2 different teams, so guaranteed we’d have chosen 1. But? Maybe he’d have gone onto the Olympics. Maybe he’d have broken his leg, or his neck, the first week out. Maybe the summer break sailing in the Caribbean would have claimed his heart, and he’d have given up snowboarding. Maybe he’d have knocked some chick up. Maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe. What didn’t happen? Has THOUSANDS of possibilities. Not just the one we imagine.

What IF I hadn’t divorced my husband?

What IF I had stayed in school?

None of these are trauma-events. Just normal life stuff. Doing normal life things. Having PROFOUND effect.

The only use “what IF” has ever brought me? The knowledge of where I MIGHT like to take my life. Or not. But getting sucked into fantasy-land? As if I had GodMode activated? Does no good. It’s Dreamtime. Not reality.

If you want to get back into coding? Get back into coding. If you’re hitting stumbling blocks? Panic attacks, intrusive thoughts, obsessions, etc.? A therapist can probably help with that... if “only” to refer you onto a therapist better equipped to help you with that. Regardless of what -if any- diagnosis is needed. Someone to help you get to where you want to be? Is priceless. Whatever their title. Or what’s holding you back.

Yeah i have talked to the counselor

Well... I just had to post something after abad day didn't i

Actually, no you didn't have to.

This is a PTSD forum and what you describe is not PTSD.

I'm sorry to sound harsh but I am struggling right now and I just read this whole thread about....coding. It's no different than someone going on a cancer support forum complaining about a cold or a pimple. It's insensitive.

And maybe I'm being insensitive right now but I wish my problem was about coding and not memories of being molested.

Yeah i have talked to the counselor
Good!
You'll probably find better support in a forum that deals with a broader set of illnesses. We are a peer-support PTSD forum, as @JadeB. rightly points out.

I wish you the best, and am going to lock this thread, now. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them via Contact Us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back