• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

ADHD strategies (2)

It feels difficult to know how to navigate a neurotypical world with my recent ADHD diagnosis. I can see so many ways throughout my life where ADHD has created barriers and problems and made things more difficult. How do I thrive with ADHD when I feel like my brain doesn’t work properly and that I am often in a battle with it?

It feels difficult to know how to navigate a neurotypical world with my recent ADHD diagnosis. I can see so many ways throughout my life where ADHD has created barriers and problems and made things more difficult. How do I thrive with ADHD when I feel like my brain doesn’t work properly and that I am often in a battle with it?
Navigating a neurotypical world with ADHD can be overwhelming and challenging. However, there are ways to thrive with ADHD by developing new strategies and using tools to help you manage your symptoms.

Here are some tips that may be helpful:

1. Educate yourself about ADHD: Understanding what ADHD is and how it affects you is an essential first step in managing your symptoms. Read books or articles, attend support groups or webinars, and talk to people who have experience with ADHD.

2. Seek professional help: It's important to work with professionals who are experts in ADHD, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, or coaches. They can help you develop a treatment plan that may include medication, therapy, and behavioral interventions.

3. Practice self-care: Taking care of yourself physically and emotionally is essential to managing your symptoms. Getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, eating a healthy diet, and practicing mindfulness can help reduce stress and improve your overall well-being.

4. Develop organizational strategies: Creating systems that work for you can help you manage your time, prioritize tasks, and reduce forgetfulness. Use tools like calendars, to-do lists, and reminders to stay on track.

5. Use technology to your advantage: There are many apps and tools available that can help you manage your ADHD symptoms. Things like timers, white noise apps, or the Forest app can help you stay focused and productive.

6. Build a support system: Connecting with others who have experience with ADHD can help you feel less alone and provide valuable support and advice. Joining a support group, talking to friends or family members, or working with a coach are all great ways to build a support system.

Remember that living with ADHD is a journey, and it's important to be patient with yourself and celebrate your successes along the way. With the right tools and strategies, you can thrive with ADHD and achieve your goals.

Seek professional help: It's important to work with professionals who are experts in ADHD, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, or coaches. They can help you develop a treatment plan that may include medication, therapy, and behavioral interventions.
I’ve heard that it can be better (ie most beneficial) working with coaches/therapists who have ADHD themselves. What do you think about that?

I’ve heard that it can be better (ie most beneficial) working with coaches/therapists who have ADHD themselves. What do you think about that?
It can be beneficial to work with coaches/therapists who have ADHD themselves because they have experienced firsthand the challenges and opportunities that come with living with ADHD. They can provide a unique perspective that can be especially valuable for helping you navigate the world with ADHD. They understand first-hand what it's like to have difficulty with focus, organization, time management, and other areas that can impact daily life.

Additionally, coaches/therapists with ADHD may be better equipped to offer practical strategies for managing symptoms, as they have likely developed and refined their own coping mechanisms over time. They can use their personal experience to help you develop strategies and skills that work best for you.

That said, it's also important that the coach/therapist is qualified and trained in working with ADHD, regardless of whether or not they have ADHD themselves. They should have extensive knowledge and experience in treating and managing ADHD symptoms and be able to provide evidence-based strategies and interventions that have been proven effective in clinical settings.

Ultimately, the most important factor in finding a coach/therapist is to look for someone with whom you feel comfortable and confident. You want someone who listens to you, understands you, and supports you in achieving your goals.

How could an ADHD coach help me?
An ADHD coach is someone who specializes in helping individuals with ADHD develop strategies and skills that can assist them in their daily lives. Here are some ways an ADHD coach might be able to help you:

1. Goal setting: An ADHD coach can help you identify goals and prioritize them based on your individual needs and interests. Together, you can set achievable goals and develop a plan to work towards them.

2. Time management: Time management can be a significant challenge for individuals with ADHD. An ADHD coach can work with you to create a schedule that maximizes your productivity and helps you achieve your goals.

3. Organization: An organized environment can help you stay focused and reduce distractions. An ADHD coach can help you declutter your space, implement effective organization systems and create checklists, so that you can better manage your daily tasks.

4. Accountability: An ADHD coach can serve as an accountability partner, someone who is committed to helping you stay on track and achieve your goals. Together, you can set deadlines, track progress, and make adjustments as needed.

5. Coping skills: An ADHD coach can help you develop coping skills that can help you manage your symptoms in a more effective way. They can suggest techniques such as mindfulness, meditation, and exercise to help you stay calm and focused.

6. Education and support: An ADHD coach can provide educational resources and ongoing support to help you better understand your symptoms and manage your condition.

Overall, the goal of an ADHD coach is to help you live a happy and fulfilling life while managing the challenges of ADHD. By providing guidance, support, and practical solutions, an ADHD coach can help you develop the skills and confidence to achieve your full potential.

Thanks.

I have been in therapy for a number of years. Not for ADHD as the ADHD is a very recent diagnosis.

I have always found some aspects of therapy sessions difficult - some examples: difficulty staying focused during sessions; over talking and then running out of time so I feel frustrated about how we used the session and about me feeling I wasted time; going off on tangents and then not raising the things that I wanted to raise and talk about. A lot of things to do with inattentiveness and inefficient use of time. So, I now wonder if some of these challenges have been connected to me having ADHD. I’m wondering if you have any ideas that I can talk to my therapist about, regarding how we can work best in therapy sessions with my neurodivergent brain. Are there any strategies we can implement or different ways of working together that might suit me better and help me get the most out of my time with my therapist?

Thanks.

I have been in therapy for a number of years. Not for ADHD as the ADHD is a very recent diagnosis.

I have always found some aspects of therapy sessions difficult - some examples: difficulty staying focused during sessions; over talking and then running out of time so I feel frustrated about how we used the session and about me feeling I wasted time; going off on tangents and then not raising the things that I wanted to raise and talk about. A lot of things to do with inattentiveness and inefficient use of time. So, I now wonder if some of these challenges have been connected to me having ADHD. I’m wondering if you have any ideas that I can talk to my therapist about, regarding how we can work best in therapy sessions with my neurodivergent brain. Are there any strategies we can implement or different ways of working together that might suit me better and help me get the most out of my time with my therapist?
It's great that you're exploring ways to better work with your therapist and make the most out of your session time. Here are some strategies and suggestions that may help:

1) Communicate your challenges: Let your therapist know that you have recently been diagnosed with ADHD and that you struggle with staying focused during sessions. Discuss how it affects your ability to engage in therapy and your concerns around the efficient use of time during sessions.

2) Set an agenda: Begin each session by discussing what you want to cover during the session. This can help you stay focused and ensure that you have time for the topics you want to address. You may also want to consider writing a brief outline before each session to help you stay on track.

3) Take breaks: Consider taking short, frequent breaks during your session to help you refocus and recharge. This can also help prevent sessions from feeling overwhelming.

4) Use a timer: Consider using a timer to help you stay on track during your session. This can serve as a helpful reminder to stay on topic and ensure the efficient use of time.

5) Incorporate visual aids: Using diagrams, charts, or color-coding can help break down complex information and assist with understanding and retention.

6) Experiment with different therapy modalities: Some therapy modalities, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, may be better suited to individuals with ADHD as they tend to be more structured and goal-oriented. Discuss different modalities with your therapist to see if there are any other approaches that could better suit your needs.

The most important thing is to discuss your challenges and work together with your therapist to explore the best ways to make therapy sessions as beneficial as possible. Don't be afraid to ask for what you need and experiment with different strategies until you find what works best for you.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back