• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Advice and Politeness Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob T.

Confident
Hi Everyone,

I've just started on the forum and I have a couple of questions about what I should do on it. :redface:

First Question- I'm really kind of shy. Is it ok if I don't give a lot of advice right away to people on the forum? To me, giving advice is like giving people a risky, repaired bicycle-I don't want to give someone something that they might hurt themselves with. Not that giving advice is bad, just sometimes I have a hard time believing in advice I give to myself. :smile:

Second Question that comes to my mind-Is it ok if I don't reply to every reply that comes to me? Every time that I get a response, I feel that I have to send a "thank you" reply to the response. Or maybe I should just send a short "thank you note" or "your welcome note" when someone replies to something I've said on the forum. I'm just not sure. I just don't want to look like I'm after "the last word" by posting "thank you, thank you, thank you" all over my threads. I'm just trying to be polite to the people on the forum. Or, it could be I just worry about too much about small things. :redface: :wink:

Please let me know what you think of these questions.

Thank You, Rob

As far as advice we normally just say what works for us. Nothing more or less, just helps us and maybe if lucky it will help another. And since the forum has grown so much you will often see someone else say what you would have so often I don't reply as it has been said. This for is not so much about advice but sharing experiences down this path and how you over came a certain phase. I have had things tossed my way that helped and some I would never touch. This forum is very much take what you need and leave the rest.

And no you do not have to respond to all the posts submitted to you. If you post a question it is safe to bet the person typing a response knows you are reading. If you feel you want or need to reply then do so but it is not rude not too.

Just relax, there are no standards here except human decency.

Thanks Veiled,

I feel less nervous about stuff on the forum after reading your reply.

Have a Good Day, Rob

I don't care if people answer my questions or not, and I don't expect a thank you either. So you don't need to worry about me Rob. Though I do know what you mean about feeling compelled to say thanks, I do that too. I always feel like I have to say thanks to everyone who responds to a thread. I worry about hurting their feelings. But I think the reality is most people don't mind one way or the other.

Hee hee Rob, but you still feel compelled to respond with thank you. Nothing wrong being polite, hon.

*Rob snickers*. Thanks for the Big laugh, veiled, I really needed one. Heh, Heh. :biggrin:

Have a Good Day, Rob

Thank YOU

:smile: Thank God.... There are some good, kind, polite, respectful people in the world...

Welcome to the forum...........

D

Thanks wildcritter44,

All kidding aside, I'm going to leave this thread now. I Think I've gotten myself into a loop where people say to me:

Person 1: you don't have to say thank you, Rob

Me: Why thank You.

Person 2: Really, you don't have to say thank you, Rob.

Me: Why thank you.

So anyhow, thank you for your advice + replies. I'll see you in another thread.

Have a Good Day, Rob

Interesting.... and yes, a vicious cycle to say the least. I kind off think about this like having the last word in a conversation. I used to have to have it, and retrained myself to consciously not do it, hence why I simply do not reply to every post or thread, as I read what is said, take that and do not feel compelled to respond and the other person has really closed the conversation for me.

I had to bring this forward, apart from smiling from ear to ear at it because I understand this soo well, I cant help but think how far I have really come in some things. It is soo good to know we are not alone in so much of what we experience and how we feel.

I hope Rob that you know you have helped me and others here.

Am bringing it forward read and share in this undersanding also. PTSD pretty much sucks but I know I can smile again also Learning to manage this.

and Thankyou (last word ? I'll bet not lol !! hah!! and smiling with it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back