• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Advice for selling my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rose White

MyPTSD Pro
I’m going to be selling my car because I won’t need to trade it in. I’ve never sold a car before. I don’t know a lot about cars. I’m not confident in my business skills. I have been offered $500 by a mechanic who hasn’t even seen it just based on the description. I looked up KBB and it said in fair condition it would be 2.5-4.1k

The head gasket is failing and depending on whether or not the oil and coolant have mixed the repair would be a minimum of 4K in parts and labor but could be upwards of 6k if there are other things that need work. That said, this particular engine (Toyota RAV4 2.4L) is known to go over 500k (mine is at 180). So someone would be happy to get this.

Knowing that the repair cost matches the value, is $500 a fair offer?

ETA: the mechanic I talked to was giving me a second opinion. I already had it diagnosed by my regular mechanic and their opinions matched.

I think I solved my problem. I talked to my older son who has lots of car knowledge. He’s going to change the head gasket with me as his assistant and then I will sell it.

I’m not pressured to sell it and the worst that happens is we fail and it’s still junk. He seems pretty confident and I would enjoy having a project with him since I don’t live with him.

Sorry this kind of sounds like diary post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back