Afraid of sleeping

Sadielady3

MyPTSD Pro
I also suffer from nightmares. I had a spell back in November/December where I was lucky to get an hour of sleep per night and would have panic attacks when I went to bed. I was exhausted and starting to lose the ability to function at my job.

My psychiatrist prescribed prazosin for me. It works wonders. I haven't had a single nightmare since I started taking it. I'm not a big fan of taking meds but this one has been life changing.

I looked up non-medicine ways to deal with nightmares and changing the ending for ones you have frequently can help. The problem for me was that, although the nightmares were about the same thing, they weren't exactly the same. I wasn't reliving specific memories but feelings and wounds that related to my trauma. But if you're having the same nightmare over and over again, maybe try to change the ending or other stressful parts while you're awake. Re-write the story in your mind. It might help change the nightmare. I can't vouch for this method as I couldn't try it but it seemed worth trying.

Nightmares really suck and I completely understand how you feel. I hope you find a way to have sweet dreams soon.

Dian_Fourie

New Here
I also suffer from nightmares. I had a spell back in November/December where I was lucky to get an hour of sleep per night and would have panic attacks when I went to bed. I was exhausted and starting to lose the ability to function at my job.

My psychiatrist prescribed prazosin for me. It works wonders. I haven't had a single nightmare since I started taking it. I'm not a big fan of taking meds but this one has been life changing.

I looked up non-medicine ways to deal with nightmares and changing the ending for ones you have frequently can help. The problem for me was that, although the nightmares were about the same thing, they weren't exactly the same. I wasn't reliving specific memories but feelings and wounds that related to my trauma. But if you're having the same nightmare over and over again, maybe try to change the ending or other stressful parts while you're awake. Re-write the story in your mind. It might help change the nightmare. I can't vouch for this method as I couldn't try it but it seemed worth trying.

Nightmares really suck and I completely understand how you feel. I hope you find a way to have sweet dreams soon.
Thanks

Sues

Confident
I have a lot of nightmares. I've had them for years. I try to make my sleep environment as helpful as I can. I sleep with a light on so when I do wake I can orientate myself more quickly to where I am and know I am safe and it was just a dream. I lock and block my bedroom door with a metal post. As far as the nightmares themselves, I have not figured out how to get rid of them. Sometimes they are worse than others.

Broken T

New Here
Cant sleep afraid I get a nightmare and an anxiety attack of when I went through trauma. Please help!!!!
I feel that pain. Or exhausted sooo bad. Have family and. friends hell strangers that are phony n evil in my life long as can remember. Have CPSD. I am very untrusting and its made me a recluse. What is going on with this world

Freddyt

New Here
Nothing worse than going to bed and not being able to go to sleep. I haven't had the nightmare in months but alas sleep evades me still some nights. The cycle of anxiety and ghosts of the past that surround getting to sleep is the hard part to get past. I still find fear of the nightmare is the single biggest roadblock to just going to bed and going to sleep.
There is no easy simple way to find sleep except to keep going and learn that the nightmare isn't real....