• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Agoraphobia - how do you prepare to leave your house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grama-Herc

MyPTSD Pro
:frown: How do some of you guys gear yourselfs up to leaving the house?? I can want to go someplace but then the wave comes over me and leaving the house doesn't happen. I will sometimes actually get sick at the idea of going out of my house into the world. I need some new ways to deal with this. Anyone got any good ideas?

I wont leave the house unless I have a scheduled appt. (Or something I HAVE to do, like drive my daughter to work) I have to breathe alot, and try to not let it get ahold on me. Talk myself through it.. ok.. just getting in the car, driving her to work, no one will see me.. come back home. I can do this.. (I've been working on the 'Positive self talk' lately, can you tell?) Anyway.. make appts so that you feel like you have to commit, and breathe through it and keep on talking. Good Luck.. remember the baby steps!!:wink:

Break it down. I am just bathing is all and concentrate on it, just make up concentrate on it, just going to car, just starting car, just leaving drive, just driving. One thing at a time to think about. And most of all go through getting ill afterwards. I am very much that way. It gets easier in time but never will if you don't do something, even sit outside to start.

Only go if I have to... and pack semi-auto pistol with me. I think its my subconscious that takes care of the rest:naughty: :mad: :angry-fla :frown:

I think you will pass that phase mac. We had people who would rush your cars in the city where I lived, was an issue for a while. I went to work and back with a pistol in my truck door and a tazer next to my leg on the other side. Hubs just put fresh batteries in it yesterday, not sure why as I fell pretty safe here. I no longer carry my gun either. It gets easier.

The way I handle going out is to organize every last minute of what I'm going to do (I'm a J, for you MBTI fans out there). I have my list, I have my agenda, I will get A, B, C, etc done. The way I push myself out there is the fact that I have things to do. Otherwise, I won't leave the house, and if something has to be done, I get it done -- otherwise, it'll bother me or stay on my mind until it's done.

After that, I go home or somewhere quiet (like the public library or a small local lakeside park that only residents know about).

Yes No-Twitch!!!
I forgot about that (it's just become a part of my life)
Whenever I do anything (going out or cooking a meal) I have a detailed list to follow. Often I included hints and directions on the list.

For example:
Last week I HAD to go grocery shopping and visit another store.
It took me 30 min or so, but I wrote a step by step list to get the things I needed done.

The list had streets I would travel written down in steps, pre-planning my route by every street or intersection I have to encounter.
Then the items I need from that store are listed one-by-one with notes (location or brand of item).
Heck, I even plan for how long I will spend in each store... otherwise I get overwhelmed and just end up going home.

Oh yeah.. plus my dog goes EVERYWHERE with me, if i have to go in a non-dog friendly building, my dog will wait in the truck for me. (of course I never leave him in there for more than afew minutes)

I make super-detailed shopping lists (I like certain brands, flavors, colors, etc and I want what I want. No substitutions. I'd rather do without than someone else or I get the wrong thing. I have my family and friends trained to this.)

I do a mental map with locations for all my errands, then figure out the most efficient (fuel- and time-) way to get it all done.

Efficiency. I live it, I love it. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back