• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Agoraphobia who else has it and how do you feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have cPTSD with agoraphobia

I can't handle shopping malls when they're busy, can't handle ques, situations where i cannot readily escape... whenever i feel trapped or closed in (avoidance of physical and emotional abuse trauma I know)

Has anyone else here got this? And, what have you found works for you etc?

It's weird. I know 100% I can go to a certain place and be fine but my primitive or reptile brain say NOOOOOOO lol

I think I get this because there is no certanity that there won't be something horrible happening there etc

I spent 2 months barely leaving my bedroom because "HOLY f*ck I CANT HIDE ANYWHERE OUT THERE". So yah. Gotcha. That part of my brainshit is better now, though. Mostly because I dissociate a lot, I think.

me myself I avoid large grouds and noise effects me and lights so I try to avoid these place and si...
yes but avoidance strengthens the fear. i have slowly trained myself to face more situations and have educated that it is all trauma related and nothing that is not fixable.
the hardest thing for me is dealing with the thoughts my brain shoves in my head that is 'oh my god im going to f*cking die'

I spent 2 months barely leaving my bedroom because "HOLY f*ck I CANT HIDE ANYWHERE OUT THERE". So yah...
like how you referred to it as brainshit lol
it's just so annoying

here i am wanting to go to a nice place but my brain says NO DO NOT DO NOT NO then when i try and go it gets too much
ughhh

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting to the letterbox usd to be a massive achievement for me. I'm still not able to handle a lot of places, but I'm heaps better than I was.

My agoraphobia became a lot less of a problem almost overnight when I got a puppy, and he basically comes everywhere with me. Something about having him switches the anxiety down massively (he's a 5kg white puffball, so it's not because he can realistically keep me safe).

Apart from him? A tonne of very gradual exposure therapy and cbt. Agoraphobia is incredibly debilitating, but you can get on top of it with hard work.

I have found routine exposure to help, but adding something new is a challenge. I also find it strange how certain places are more challenging than others and I'm not really sure why. Also, having someone with me can help, but it can also make it worse if they unintentially increase the stress or trigger you. This is extremely difficult to deal with and I often have to force myself, but then I feel drained. Keep us posted if you find a way to work through this.

I used to be ok with it when I was sleeping and still ok with life. Once I got out it got better.
Now with constant anxiety major depression borderline personality insomnia my brains shut down. One one wants to be around me and going out and seeing them just walk away with no cares eats me up.
I can't go for drives anymore or camping or outdoors at all. My relationships with my boyfriend and
ppl is ruined.

- I mainly go to places when they are less busy
- Paces like on the way to work (tubes etc) I put my headphones in and close my eyes or read a book, anything to distract me.

I know I can't escape the situations, it doesn't stop me having panic attacks, but I have got very good at having them completely silently, and my daily train panic attacks aren't something I want anyone else to know about. I have got alot better over time, but often I have to escape from busy situations and sit outside. I just try and be extra chill about it ahhaa.

Repeated exposure works, even if it is torture. Slowly over time it consumes less of your thoughts.

- I mainly go to places when they are less busy
- Paces like on the way to work (tubes etc) I put my head...
You can eliminate the panic attacks but the thing is to be slowly doing it. I've come from not leaving the house to going to the local shops and to a bit further because I've constantly been chipping away at it.

The thing is your brain is trying to protect you and doesn't care about your life. It says "staying home all the time is safe. I will reinforce that"
If we did not have this message in our minds, we would not have this condition.

I'm going to try and rewire my brain. See what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back