• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Alternative Therapies - I Like Them Much Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire

MyPTSD Pro
During my experience with PTSD I've tried and been encouraged to explore lots of different alternative therapies. I was wondering if anyone else had tried them as they helped me in varying degrees. They dont fix anything exactly but they do give me a rest from the symptoms sometimes, for a short while, so I can see more clearly where I'm at and the progress I've made. That's something I've found impossible to judge because its so overwhelming you cant see a way out and I get stuck in that. Before all this I was pretty sceptical about lots of these things but I was prepared to try anything that might help. The things I've tried are: Reiki, hypnosis, meditation, yoga and massage. Some have worked better than others. I also believe regular exercise is helpful to me (its one of my New Years resolutions to get at least 30min of something everyday!) Its hard to keep up sometimes but I feel stronger, more powerful and confident after going for a run/gym. Exercising outside is even better. I've also looked into EMDR and EMT but not experienced them. I was interested in a link I read on here about martial arts being helpful. I think I might try something along those lines too. I did do boxercise classes for a bit. It felt could to fight and punch things!:fight: I think along the lines of what do I need right now? how, in a safe way, can I fulfil that need.

Claire

Yes, hence this thread was created as a result: [DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread453.html[/DLMURL]. I love natural therapies opposed to pharmalogical one's. Acupuncture kicks arse in more ways than one.

Many people still think quite narrow minded about martial arts, in that its for defence or attack, protection even. It really has little to do with any of that, and it is actually about learning to control the mind. If you have more power within your mind, then you should never be in the circumstance to use defence requirements.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I did search but obvioulsy not using the right keywords. Yes, I understand the martial arts thing too. Its the discipline involved, both mental and physical that I think could be good for me.

Anthony, thats quite a list, have you tried them all? I haven't heard of some of them. Whats Animal therapy? how do you find acupuncture helps you? I've tried it but not had any reaction really either good or bad.

Anthony's thread: 'how many people go to a doctor, are seen within five to ten minutes, diagnosed, given a prescription medication, then thrown out so the doctor can get the next patient in?'

It all rings true with the way the doctors reach for the prescription pad before you've even sat down. I made a decision right at the beginning not to take anything. I've been offered prescriptions a few times both by doctors and a psychiatrist but I refused. I too didn't believe in the hippie alternatives at first but they really have been good. I also know exactly where I am with things. I know its me getting better and not the drugs masking stuff.

No, I haven't tried them all. Some, but nowhere near all.

I would have to say, not all acupuncturists are created equal, to say the least. The only one I would recommend is one that it qualified in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) as another qualification, as they will have greater understanding of the body opposed to just an acupuncturist would.

I think it's great that you've made a decision to stay actively involved in active, daily exercise...way to go!!

I've noticed also that exercise really helps my ptsd symptoms. I've always thought that the stronger I am on the outside, the stronger I feel on the inside. It makes sense because stress plays a big part with ptsd and exercise can be a great stress buster....I just need to get back into my running :) been too busy lately- glad to see it's helping you.

PTSD and Martial Arts

Hello,
I have practiced martial arts in my childhood and still swith PTSD i have been prtacticed gong fu for 2 years (I abandoned because of m y new job's shedule) It is to say that this tragedy dont remove your profund tendencies and hobbies, what always you liked to. The only difference is that your energy is canalized in an other way: waiting and vigilating for an eventual enemy. That's all. It's simple but it's complicated. In my case this stragedy began at 11 year old.
Always i was an active child, loving sports and learn.
So I have readed some books of Erle Montaigue, an Australian Martial Artist (considered as first western representative of occident in China wushu competitions) His approach is very particular, it is told about reptilian brain, trauma, abise, healing with qigong and other related issues. For example, talking about a taiji technique named "P'eng" it is said that "It’s martial application is a back fist to the side of the face with a Qi draining jerking of the wrist. The corners of the eyes down to the upper cheekbone is the area that indicates childhood abuse. So this posture can be used to help with the locked up trauma cause by this condition. This area of the face also represents the heart. Look at most heart operation patients and you will see that the area of the cheeks is slightly puffy or swollen." (Interrnal Gung Fu. Vol. 2) It amazing me!
His site http://www.taiji-qigong.co.uk/Books.html the books are free to download. (amazing no!!)
The big problem is to find a good master. I hope that this can help someone!!

PTSD and transcendental meditation

Hello,
I want to say that I feel myself better since I return to practice transcendental meditation (TM). I have found an article about the application of TM to Vietnam War Veterans: http://ecam.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/nel041v1.pdf
I hope this helps someone!:rolleyes:
"It's all about training"

I'm a Reiki practitioner. I've also done a little work with EFT for myself, but not with others yet.. I've been talking with my guy about the possibility of giving these things a try to help with his PTSD. I'm willing to give it a try, although I wonder about the wisdom of giving him these treatments myself, as I've read countless warnings about carers not allowing themselves to think they can "cure" their sufferer. But we've begun talking about it, and he seems more willing to trust me in terms of treatment than he is to trust an outsider, so it may be me or no treatment at all.

Of course, what I have to do is tell myself that I am merely the conduit, the tool that allows him to get better, or not. I am neither the cause of any improvement, nor responsible if it fails. I must not allow myself to personalize this treatment, if I undertake this work with him.

*gulp*

OK, so while I'm trying to put myself into the right frame of mind to be a conduit through which healing may or may not take place, I could stand to hear from any of you who have real life experiences with either Reiki or EFT in treating PTSD.

Much obliged to you all,

Cowgirl

I used to see a massage therapist and it worked pretty well for various different things regarding my PTSD and Depression.

I tried Kava a few times but ended up having a bad reaction - ended up with a rash on my face from it, however, I DID like the way it relaxed me.

I'm going to look into Reiki. Thanks for this thread!

Best,
Rachel

A little O.T. but I have a sense that some of the shamanic rituals that where/is performed in tribes are suited for to treat issuess around at least Pts, specially for intergrating the sufferer back with the tribe. They have a very different outlook on things but somehow I get the feeling that when they didn't have a direct cure the looked after this partly "magic" side of illness, where experience of "reality" get's bent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back