• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Am I unable to be helped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crying Lady

I wonder if I am a patient that's unable to be helped and if I frustrate my psych doctor.

I continuously kept stop taking my meds, my past prescriptions I tried because I felt like they weren't working but I probably should have kept taking my old one. I don't remember if I also stopped taking Wellburtin because I felt ashamed to take it because too many people paint medication in a bad light, like my sister speaks negatively about it.

My psych doc said something about not solely relying on meds and that she saids I should have been seeing a counselor at least weekly which I agree with and I think that's what she meant in short I have a tendency to block things when I feel like I am getting scolded

I already set up my counseling session for this upcoming week. I am thinking about calling my psych about switching from the new medication because even though it's only 15 mg it makes me sleep all day and I still feel groggy and letharic.

I still want to see what other meds out there will work for me but I am scared of getting mad at and thinking abouy qutting meds for a moment.

I wonder if they get annoyed at me and think that I am faking to seek attention

I wonder if I am a patient that's unable to be helped
Able to be helped, and ready and willing to engage with your treatment are 2 separate things.

Wanting to recover, and being willing to commit to treatment, also 2 different things.

Yes, you can be helped. Indeed, your psychiatrist is trying to do exactly that by writing prescriptions for you.

I think possibly the more relevant question is do you want that kind of help (not everyone does, particularly with prescription meds)? If not, what kind of help do you want, if any at all? And, what would it take for you to commit to it?

For some people, ptsd runs its course.

For the rest of us, treatment is hard work, and requires some degree of commitment, and at times, examining whether our resistance is the problem, or the treatment mode is the problem, or is it something else entirely that's the problem.

Definitely you can be helped.

Continuing to see a doctor that prescribes you pills you aren't going to take seems like a waste of time and money. But, there's other treatment approaches you could try (like the counselling suggested).

I imagine that it's frustrating for any professional when a client says "Yep, sure, thanks, I'll follow your advice"...and then doesn't. But, your recovery is the issue here - your mental health is the priority, not how frustrating you are...?

Last edited:
I think possibly the more relevant question is do you want that kind of help (not everyone does, particularly with prescription meds)? If not, what kind of help do you want, if any at all? And, what would it take for you to commit to it?
I want all the help I can get it's not like I don't want help I know it's frustrating when I keep missing her and stop my meds without doctor advice I don't want to seem like or be a difficult patient. At first my issue was finances which is why I kept missing her now I think I am able to see her often like I would want to.

I'm scared of speaking my mind what I want to do is to continue to see which meds will work and I want to see a new therapist. Their counseling is okay but I think a therapist would be best for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back