• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anxiety as rushing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because I think "Why would you waste time practicing these techniques? I need to be ready." My thinking definitely crosses into hypervigilance territory. If I'm to think "Hey these techniques can help me!", I'll immediately counter it with "Why would you want to be free to take your time? If you take your time, chaos will ensue."

That is some quite inaccurate thinking around readiness and relaxing, right there.

Mindfulness practiced correctly *means* your mind & body are balanced, at ease, calm *and* ready - and able to realistically assess & tackle the situation in front of you.

Mind you, coming from someone who doesn't even *like* DBT take on mindfulness, just the state itself, techniques to reach it via martial arts or sport, and just appreciating everyday beauty.

If I'm to think "Hey these techniques can help me!", I'll immediately counter it with "Why would you want to be free to take your time? If you take your time, chaos will ensue."
If you take your time, your effectiveness in responding to situations will increase.

Mindfulness practiced correctly *means* your mind & body are balanced, at ease, calm *and* ready - and able to realistically assess & tackle the situation in front of you.
^This

And really, right now, you don't need to believe the techniques will work. Some will and some won't, and many will take time to get down. You are learning something new. It's like training for a marathon. You already know that what you are doing isn't working. You are doing your very best, and something needs to change. Go gently with yourself. It will take time. Anxiety screams danger, and when I was first learning techniques... it felt like my body and brain were of fire and there is just no way it would work or help. But I practiced because I was desperate and what I was doing wasn't working... and something had to change. Over time, I learned that if I do slow down, things get easier. It's not about trying more and faster, but effectiveness.

I hope no one feels insulted by, or exasperated with, me for "having an answer for everything." I do it to myself day in and day out.
From my vantage point, just seems like you are working it out. Not a bother. And even if you were, let others mange themselves. You keep working on you.

Ditto JMH, not bothered either. ;)

If I sounded bruised off and scared you / made you uncomfortable, not my intent. I see the exchanges here as just interesting look at what works, doesn't, might better, where it got broken, etc.

Ditto JMH, not bothered either. ;)

If I sounded bruised off and scared you / made you uncomfortable, not my intent. I see the exchanges here as just interesting look at what works, doesn't, might better, where it got broken, etc.

No, you didn't sound that way. You gave some tough love, but not in a spiteful way. I was pre-emptively responding to anyone saying "Jesus, if you're not going to do anything we say, why the hell are you here asking for advice?" - a valid point btw.

I guess @PointlessExistence other words for the beliefs fueling it could be 'cognitive distortion (s)', & that may be what others are referring to here as examining your thoughts, their genesis and your core beliefs. Not finding my own words today, but just wondering if the (rushed) action gives a sense of control/ therefore reduces anxiety. Might even be your body/ brain's way to burn off energy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back