• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anxiety over memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauline

Confident
Hi I don't know if this makes sense but do any of you get the feeling sometimes that your traumatic memories are like they didn't happen to you. Lately I've been feeling like my memories of my trauma are not mine or didn't happen to me or none of it existed but I know they are real because I have evidence like my nan dying for example that obviously did happen and my overdose I don't know if it's because maybe they were a long time ago now I'm finally seeking therapy because I still feel very damaged but it's really frustrating for me because I'm keep having to remind myself that they did actually happen to me and they were very much real life events. Anyway if anyone has advice please let me know X

I can relate. I was sexually abused as a child and when I think back. On it it- very much the out of body experience-like watching a movie. It actually has helped. "Time heals all wounds." It has made it to where I can talk. About it without being overwhelmed with emotions. So instead of being
Hi I don't know if this makes sense but do any of you get the feeling sometimes that your traumatic mem...

Oops...instead of being confused about the change, embrace it as an opportunity to grow and progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say that mine seem like they really didn't happen and such. However, I wonder if how your mind is operating is a type of minimization? I do know there are times when I will think that my trauma events were not really that much of a deal. This I do know is minimizing. We all have different ways of coping and how you view your trauma history is just one of those ways. Hopefully, someone else can give you more information based on their own experience such as you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back