• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anxiety Over Small Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

ready2moveon

Not Active
I get Anxiety over the smallest things.

For example:

-Today I received a copy of an appraisal of our house. I already know it appraised for the amount we needed it to however I am reluctant to read the actual report. Not even sure why. Maybe because there would be something in the report I don't agree with.

-I get anxiety over reading replies to emails
-I get anxiety over filing complaints even if I know I have a completely valid complaint.
-listening to voicemails

My anxiety is about how I will respond. It's the fear that something will set me off.

Is this a (C)PTSD thing?

For example:

-Today I received a copy of an appraisal of our house. I already know it appraised for the amount we needed it to however I am reluctant to read the actual report. Not even sure why. Maybe because there would be something in the report I don't agree with.

-I get anxiety over filing complaints even if I know I have a completely valid complaint.
-listening to voicemails

My anxiety is about how I will respond. It's the fear that something will set me off.

Is this a (C)PTSD thing?

Oh and even this is giving me anxiety. Was this a stupid thing to post? Will the answers be "of course every body knows that" Or will the answers be "No something else is wrong with you"

Let’s get one thing clear; there is NOTHING wrong with you! You are here, on this website, asking for help; thats showing you’re strong and you know that it’s not a trait you want to keep having. PTSD can trigger a lot of anxiety, so it’s not ‘weird’. Are you seeing a therapist?
I hope you’ll feel better soon, but please don’t doubt yourself so much!:)

Oh and even this is giving me anxiety. Was this a stupid thing to post? Will the answers be "of course every body knows that" Or will the answers be "No something else is wrong with you"
This >>> Reading Forum Increases Symptoms!

I would have said >>> The ptsd cup explanation , although it still probably applies... but this bit here?

Is this a (C)PTSD thing?
Cha. You see it a whole helluva lot with PTSD... As people learn HOW they’re affected by certain things, there’s a knee jerk response to avoid doing the things that are going to cause a symptom uptick. Avoiding the things that make us unhappy/ cause pain/ etc. is something we’re hardwired to do, as a species. Don’t touch the hot burner if you don’t wanna get burned!!! That really doesn’t work, with PTSD, for a whole helluva lot of reasons; worlds just get smaller and smaller, and our ability to cope wanes right along with it... but it CAN be a useful tool. One of those; useful when used deliberately, dangerous as an uncontrolled reaction/response.

That's a normal reaction with ptsd. I get scared of checking my emails or even opening posted letters. Sometimes its really bad. Even the smallest tasks can set me off. Yesterday I had to go get a prescription and do some shopping.thats a big deal for me.

I tend to treat most problems with extreme emotion often blowing things out of proportion as if they were a crisis, any uncertainty and i fall apart, i can’t help it. My reaction to situational uncertainty is part of my hyper vigilance. I know why i got this way, fixing it is elusive.

I am getting much better but I walked by a group of neighbors the other day and I thought imagined a comment directed towards me and I’ve been obsessed about it a couple days. I didn’t have to bore my wife with it. That’s getting better. I can drive into the city now and not panic about the car. Everything about the car. I could really go on about this. So yes it’s anxiety and it gets better but it took years and years to lessen it enough for me to see it. Most of that stuff was coming from me, as opposed to happening to me. I can sort of wait for things to go wrong now and not try and plan for it. That’s just a way to say it, but I suffered terribly with this and I still have trouble going out in the yard lol. I’ve learned not to say anything and turn away. If anyone wants to speak they have to drag it out of me. There’s nothing wrong with being reclusive. I’m not sure how much therapy helped and how much is I’m just older, and i finally learned from experience. I wish it hadn't taken so long. The things that go wrong historically have not been what I was panicking about, and I couldn’t have done anything about most of it anyway. Anxiety can’t be explained away though because it’s irrational so, I hope you feel better.

Was this a stupid thing to post?

I'm sorry. I do this, as well. I am diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and it seems to me that unless you have trauma around acceptance, your housing, communicating with others, etc., a lot of the anxiety you are experiencing may be from an anxiety disorder. On the other hand, since I have CPTSD, I also know that I have trauma surrounding tons of stuff and much of what could easily be blamed on GAD is probably actually trauma related.

For me, I assume that those things that I remember having trauma related to them are about the CPTSD. For instance, I am terrified of heights and I was held off the edge of a house when I was a kid, so that one I blame on trauma. I constantly fear that I am forgetting things and I check and recheck what I am doing to make sure that I haven't forgotten. I don't remember any trauma related to my remembering things, so I assume this is really related to generalized anxiety.

For example:

-listening to voicemails

Is this a (C)PTSD thing?
I relate to this so much! So glad you posted this, despite what you thought immediatly afterwards.
I find it so difficult sometimes to notice if I am being anxious over a small thing and should breathe and try move past it, or if I am getting caught up in a huge swirl in which I lose grips of rationality and go over-board analysing norms etc. until I feel so out of touch with the world that it is simply easier to retreat to bed/the sofa/the blanket.

You are not alone, and your post reminded ME of that! Sending hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back