1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Anxiety, root cause

Discussion in 'Anxiety, Panic & Hypervigilance' started by ssen, Apr 15, 2018.

1. ssen

ssen New Member

I have determined a large portion of my anxiety stems from my hypervigilance: Reading people to gauge if they are a danger or if I have angered them; overanalyzing situations for the same reason and planning to avoid rage and danger. So, in a word: Fear. So now, a few months after my diagnoses of PTSD & CPTSD, we can add shame, from the stigma from friends and coworkers. Fear, now spreading to things that should not cause fear, for fear of failing/falling apart at the most inconvenient time. Treatment tends to throw away any sense of balance, at least for the short term, causing more fear, what if I cannot learn to control these emotions I have dug up?

Sietz, littleoc and EveHarrington like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. EveHarrington

EveHarrington _______ in progress. Premium Member

Chances are...?

At first, but hints will be chaotic. Very chaotic. And, you won’t know how to control these emotions....at first. (I don’t think any of us could control the emotions at first....as I don’t count numbing and stuffing as “control”.)

But the good news is that you can learn. There are many skills out there that can help you learn how to control your emotions.

Knowing things will indeed be chaotic? That in and of itself will actually have more control, at least in my experience. Knowing it’s par for the course, knowing that this is to be expected....will help things feel a little less out of control.

4. Sietz

Sietz Active Member

Anxiety is needed to protect us from the world. Too much anxiety can hinder our ability to deal, too little and we retraumatize ourselves.
    I can't rely on meds to handle it, so I've had to deal with it on my own, with help from CBT and ACT workbooks and therapy.

Fear, stigma and anxiety go hand in hand. And it's not just stigma from others, it's self stigma too...

ssen likes this.
Show Sidebar