• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anxiety when it comes to New Relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueWeepingRose

Confident
I'm having a lot of anxiety as of lately. I haven't felt anything in a very long time. I left my abusive ex-boyfriend, I haven't felt anything or dated anyone. Just felt numb. Recently, I met someone who I connect with and he truly understands me. My body has been full of anxiety since than. I've been working on myself, trying to heal and keep myself busy with hobbies. Now that I've connected with someone, it's insane and the feelings for me is insane that I get anxiety. When I told him about this, he understood and reassured me that he would be here for me regardless. This comforted me.

I'm not used to feeling these feelings that they truly scare me. When I think about it, I guess I'm scared that I'll get abused again. My ex abused me for six years and after I left him, I haven't been with anyone or tried dating. If any guy was interested, I told him I wasn't ready which was true. Now I'm away from my abuser and dealing with the abuse that has happened to me, things are different and I see the world differently too. I'm not rushing into things or told this guy I loved him yet, but I do like him a lot.

I've been away from my Ex since 2016. I feel happier that I'm away from him but I know I still need to work on things. However, I do feel something with this guy. I connect with him and it gives me anxiety? Why would this be? He's not giving me any red flags or anything, I'm just full of anxiety because I haven't felt anything for any guy in so long. Now that I can feel these emotions again, it freaks me out. Not planning on telling this guy that I can't speak with him anymore. And I don't want to run away or push him away. Just plan on going very slow with this. Is there anyone else relates with me? Do new relationships freak you out too?

I think people even without PTSD get plenty of nerves over new relationships and new people in general.

Considering how your ex treated you I think it is entirely understandable you would feel this way.

Just give yourself time to acclimate and go slow and if he’s worth it he will continue to be there and continue to not show red flags.

You are totally normal, just breathe ?.

I know I'm late but you're normal. I left an abusive relationship in 2015. A year later when I was starting to be with someone else I had the same experience. Eventually I did get comfortable with him though! I think the feelings for someone are anxiety inducing because of vulnerability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back